Pluggable + F17 Multiseat

Setting up Fedora 17 multiseat with Plugable UD160 devices, and getting some disconnects at run time and green screens on boot. I remember somewhere on your site talk about certain F17 releases not working as well as others, but can’t lay a hand on it now… which update subversion would be the most ideal?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for contacting Plugable Support, I’ll try to help. If you are getting working multi-seat terminals then your Fedora version should be fine. There’s a kernel update to 3.6.2 that disables the UDLFB driver so avoid that, but other wise the green screen is most likely just indicating that something has gone wrong with getting X started.

To restart X press ctrl + alt + backspace on the terminal with the green screen and see if you get a login screen. If not, try unplugging and re-plugging the USB connection to the UD-160.

I hope this helps,
Thanks,
Jerome.

Jerome…

Replugging the connection works… ctrl+alt+backspace on the terminal rarely does.

So, thinking out loud… is there a way to introduce a pause of a second or so during the startup in the loop that is launching the x sessions… would you expect that to have any effect?

I’ve got a quadcore machine with 4 gigs running fedora 17… how many usb devices would you feel secure in connecting to this machine in a K-12 school setting (that is, word processing, web… light stuff for the most part).

Thanks much for your help… I really appreciate it!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear that the unplug – replug did the trick. As far as inserting a delay on the spin up of the X servers – It’s definitely possible but is beyond our scope at the moment. It should only be an issue on start up, so hopefully it won’t be too unwieldy in a classroom.

For your classroom scenario, you should be able to get up to 6 terminals with reasonable performance especially if you follow the instructions in this post:
http://plugable.com/2012/06/11/fedora…

You’ll see much better performance and will be able to run even more terminals. If you find that the performance is acceptable and you are bumping into a limit around 6 or 7, have a look at this blog post for a way to get up to 16:
http://plugable.com/2012/09/02/one-fe…

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Jerome.