I purchased the plugable USB Audio Adapter because my laptop(HP Envy touchsmart notebook w/ WIn 10) had no microphone in port. so I am trying to use the microphone in on the plugable USB audio adapter to connect my sirius xm radio with an aux cable. I like to listen on my laptop with my 5.1 speakers. I also like to record blocks of commercial free music but I am getting no sound in, even with the plugable USB audio adapter. when I plugged it in, a notification popped up and said it was properly installed and ready to go but still no sound. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reaching out and posting, and I apologize for the issue you’re experiencing. If I understand correctly, you have the USB Audio Adapter connected to your computer and to that adapter, you’ve connected your 5.1 speakers to the headphone port and your SiriusXM connected to the mic port. From the description, the speakers are working and you’re getting sound out of the adapter but you cannot get the audio from the SiriusXM to play through either the computer or the speakers. If that’s an incorrect understanding, please correct me!
If everything above is correct, the most likely issue is your playback and recording settings. Steps are below on how to do this:
- In the lower right hand corner of your desktop, you should see a small speaker icon. Right click on it and select Playback Devices.
- Click on USB Audio Device, then click on Set Default at the bottom. If this was successfully changed, you should see a small green circle with a checkmark next to USB Audio Device.
- Next, click on the ‘Recording’ tab at the top of the window and repeat step 2. Click on USB Audio Device, then click Set Default at the bottom.
- To have the audio from the device connected to the microphone port (in this case, your SiriusXM) be heard over the speakers, right click on USB Audio Device in the Recording tab, then click Properties.
- Navigate to the Listen tab at the top, then click the checkbox for ‘Listen to this device’. Lastly, click Apply in the lower right.
With that, you should be setup to hear the audio over the speakers connected to the USB Audio Adapter. If you’d like to listen to the SiriusXM over another set of speakers (such as the computer speakers), repeat step 1 & 2 but select the device you’d like sound to play through instead of ‘USB Audio Device’ (USB Audio Device is the Audio Adapter).
Hope this information helps, but let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance!
first, thank you for the reply Patrick!
second, I followed the steps you posted and still no sound. I see the USB devise when I rt click on the speaker icon and I also see a volume type for graphic that is actually moving like there is music playing such as you would see on a stereo system but no sound.
also, after following those steps, other sounds suck as watching videos, the sound and playback changed. I was watching a youtube video and it after I plugged in the usb device, the video went into slow motion. after I unplugged it, and restarted the page, the video played normally.
I appreciate your help, hopefully we can get this figured out!
Sorry to hear the issue is still occurring. I think at this point it may be best to continue over email, as I would like to gather some additional information regarding your setup and PC. If you can connect the device and run our debug tool, we should be able to get some idea of what’s going wrong. Could you run it and email us the .zip it generates? Please send the file(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org, I’ll be on the look out for them!
Here’s how to run the PlugDebug tool: http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug