Plugable USE 2.0 Universal Docking station and HP laptop

I purchased the Plugable USB 2.0 Universal Docking station and upon boot up my laptop hangs. I get the error msg “Please press ESC for startup”. In order to get the docking station to work with my HP laptop, I must unplug the USB connection from my laptop, boot up the laptop, once Windows 7 starts to load, I can then plug in the docking station and all works. What could be my problem?

Hi Sherri,

Thanks for contacting Plugable. Sorry that all is not working as it should be.

By any chance do you have a wireless keyboard/mouse adapter connected to one of the USB ports on the dock?

If so, here’s what’s happening:

Some PCs have a BIOS that expects a quick response from the USB keyboard and mouse connected to the PC. A wireless keyboard and mouse combo is slower to respond than the corded equivalent, but it’s fast enough when directly connected to a PC. With a hub between the computer and the keyboard/mouse adapter, there’s an extra delay as the system first enumerates locally connected devices–which is when it finds the hub–and then enumerates devices off the hub. The two delays combined make the response time too long for the BIOS on some PCs, causing hangs at boot up.

Therefore, we always recommend attaching a wireless keyboard/mouse adapter directly to the PC, if possible.

If I have completely misdiagnosed the situation, let me know. I want to help you get your system functioning optimally.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Hi Sherri,

Just checking whether my previous post to your question about your Plugable dock properly diagnosed the issue. If not, please let us know. We’re here to help.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies