Plugable USBC-NVME enclosure locking up computer

I have the following SSD in the enclosure: Samsung 960 EVO (500GB) M.2 NVME.

The enclosure is 2-1/2 years old now and has never caused a problem before. I am using the SSD as temporary storage. Currently I have about 400GB of data on the SSD. I wanted to use the enclosure with the SSD for some other data so decided to copy the data to another drive. After copying the data for a few minutes the copy froze followed by the computer’s USB ports stopped working (including mouse and keyboard). I had to reboot the computer. I gave up after this happened several times.Note even CrystalDiskMark locked up when I tried to run it on the drive in the enclosure. After I moved the SSD to another enclosure (TDBT SuperC) the problem went away. Should I give on this enclosure and replace it?

Hi Edward,

Thanks for contacting us! I am sorry this is not working as expected.

Based on your description of the behavior, our first step is to get some additional information from your system with the USBC-NVME connected to the computer and the SSD installed into the enclosure.

If you would, please connect the enclosure to the computer with the original USB-C cable ( or USB-A to USB-C cable included with the enclosure ) and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #385984 - Attention Pat’ as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Edward,

Thank you for sending the PlugDebug log file, based on the logs this is our USBC-NVME enclosure with Realtek RTL9210 chipset, and based on the estimated 2-1/2 years from the original purchase it likely has a firmware update available ( if not already applied ) that is designed to help improve compatibility with ASMedia USB host controllers, like are used in this system ( AMD uses ASMedia host controller as the “AMD” host controllers ).

I recommend starting by removing the NVMe SSD from the enclosures, and disconnecting all external storage devices from the computer, then updating the USBC-NVME firmware to firmware version 1.27.5 ( https://media.plugable.com/downloads/drivers/products/usbc-nvme/usbc-nvme_realtekfirmware202112.zip ). The full firmware update instructions are on the PDF file in this zip file.

After updating the USBC-NVME enclosure to the latest firmware please reinstall the SSD and check to see if the issue is still occurring and we can proceed from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com

I downloaded and installed the firmware upgrade. I have tried the enclosure again and copied over 200GB of data to an external USB/SATA 3.5-inch hard drive. I had no problems doing this. I consider the problem solved at this time.

Hi Edward,

I am glad to hear that the firmware update has helped to improve stability with this system! I will go ahead and close this thread, please feel free to start a new support request or contact our support email directly at ‘support@plugable.com’ if there is anything else we can do to help, have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com