Plugable USB to VGA works intermittently

My plugable USB to VGA adapter (usb 2.0 display adapter) only works intermittently. Sometimes when it doesn’t work my computer continually beeps (same sound as when inserting a usb device) and sometimes it does nothing. It shows up in the device manager (xp). I’m trying to extend my desktop to another monitor. I also have a primary monitor and an extended desktop to my laptop screen. Is this a common issue? Thank you
Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your question, we’ll be able to help. It sounds like your device is disconnecting from the bus and reconnecting. Common causes for this behavior are a bad USB cable or the device not getting enough power. To narrow it down a bit, can you check the following things?

1. Do you have another USB cable you can try to see if fixes the disconnects?

2. Are you plugged into a USB hub? If so, try plugging directly into a USB port on the computer, also, try a different USB port.

3. Can you say more about the listing you see in Device Manager? Under USB Display Adapters, how is the device listed? What is listed if you double click on the device in Device Manager and then choose the details tab?

Let us know what you’re seeing and we’ll figure out next steps.

Thanks,

Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Thank you. I’ll try to find another cable. I’m not sure that’s the problem as this did work consistently for a couple of months and then started working intermittently. When I get it to work, it seems to work until I reboot and then it has the issue. I try it once in a while and sometimes it works. The last time I had it working was last week until I rebooted. When It does work, I see an icon in my system tray for it, looks like a small square I think. When it’s not working, I don’t see that icon.

I’m not plugged into a hub but directly into the laptop. I try it on different usb ports sometimes, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I just tried a different port and it’s having the same issue.

In device manager, under USB display adapters, it shows up as Plugable USB-VGA-165. When i double click on it and choose the details tab, device instance ID is chosen in the drop down menu, in the text box beneath that it says USB\VID_17E9&PID_037B\006942

Thank you
Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your troubleshooting. If possible, can you try connecting to a powered USB hub, just to rule out a power issue. If you don’t see any improvement just send your Amazon Order Id over to support@plugable.com and we’ll get you fixed up.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

I don’t have a powered USB hub. I’ll see if I can pick up a cheap one.

Thanks
Jason

Hi Jason,

Send your Amazon Order Id over to support@plugable.com and verify your current shipping address. We’ll get a pretested replacement on it’s way…

Thanks for your patience,
Jerome

Plugable Technologies