Plugable USB-C Dock compatibility with USB 3.0 laptops

I’m trying to set up a home-office with 2 external monitors (Dell U2417H), and I’m looking for a Plugable laptop dock that will hopefully work for my situation.

I have 2 different laptops that I need to switch out every now and then - one is a Dell XPS 13 (which looks to be fully supported by the Plugable USB-C dock), and the other is a Lenovo T450s.

I know the XPS 13 has a Thunderbolt / USB-C port so it’s not an issue at all. However, the Lenovo T450s only has a USB 3.0 or a Mini DisplayPort. If I do get the Plugable USB-C dock, will I be able to run a USB-C to USB 3.0 adaptor in order to get it to work with my Lenovo T450s as well? Granted, I know it won’t have the extra USB-C functionality like charging, etc., but I just want to make sure that the setup will at least allow my Lenovo T450s to output the display onto the 2 monitors I have connected to the dock when I’m connected to it via USB 3.0.

Appreciate any input or advice on this issue, tips on how I can make my setup work, or even what adaptor I should buy to convert the USB-C to USB 3.0 for my Lenovo. Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for posting! I see you also reached out to us directly via support@plugable.com and I have just sent my direct reply. For the benefit of anyone else following this thread I have repeated my response below.

We don’t recommend our Triple Display Docking station for systems that do not have a USB-C port like your Lenovo, so the better solution for your setup would be one of our UD-3900 Dual Display docking stations -> http://plugable.com/products/ud-3900 This will work with both of your systems using a USB Type-A connector and allow you to add up to two additional displays.

One quick note, since your monitors have a HDMI input you will need a standard HDMI to HDMI cable to connect the first display and purchased separately an inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable like this -> http://amazon.com/dp/B014I8UQJY to connect the second display (our docks do not support DisplayPort).

Please let us know if that information helps!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support