Plugable USB-C 4K Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting

I have a USB-C 4K which disconnects and reconnects. This has become a nuisance as when the docking station disconnents, all contents are moved to my primary monitor. When it automatically reconnects, I have to rearrange my extend monitor (the docking station). I’m running the latest DisplayLink drivers and have disables USB-C power saving options. Are you able to assist?

1 Like

For anyone following this thread, the customer has reached out to us directly and we are investigating further.

I will follow up on any findings.

EDIT: See my latest post.

Thanks!

MItchell

I have the exact same issue, I have to power off my laptop, power off the hub, and start from scratch at least once per day.

I’d be very interested in whatever you discover.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I’m afraid we haven’t received updates from the customer since our last reply.

To clarify more about your issue here, could you confirm you are using the original USB-C cable that came with the dock? I ask because not all USB-C cables are created equally, and some third-party cables can cause issues with our docks.

Assuming the original USB-C cable is being used, our next steps will be to request some logs from your system to best investigate further. Could you please keep the dock attached to your system, then navigate to our PlugDebug tool and follow the instructions there?

Please send the logs to us directly at support@plugable.com – do not post them here.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Looks like the PD of the unit is not very consistent. As of now, as long as I use my laptop power supply, the problem seems to have been resolved. Unfortunately, I was hoping I could use a single cable for power and data.

BTW, I’m using a 100W PD rated USB-C cable. I will give an OEM cable a try, however if there are no IC’s within the cable, I’m not sure if it will make a difference.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your update.

Obviously, you shouldn’t have to keep the original power adapter connected in order to use the dock. Certainly do try swapping out the cable with the one included with the dock, but if you still experience issues, let me know.

Thanks!

Mitchell

I just got my USB-C 4K installed with my HP ZBook 15 G5 and I am also noticing random disconnects between the laptop and the Dock. I am using the laptop power supply (brick) and the supplied USB-C to USB-C cable. I have one 22" HDMI monitor and one 22" Display port monitor. Have the RJ45 Ether-Net cable connected to a cable modem. One USB Wireless mouse/keyboard dongle connected. I have some BOSE speakers connected to the from headphone jack.
On disconnect I loose everything like the docking station looses power then re-starts. However I have not seen the Blue or Green LED to go out as when it happens it happens fast, and I have not been able to catch it. :slight_smile:

Hi Tommy

Certainly not the normal behavior we should be seeing.

Just like you may have seen above, our next steps will be to request some logs from your system to best investigate further. Could you please keep the dock attached to your system, then navigate to our PlugDebug tool and follow the instructions there?

Please send the logs to us directly at support@plugable.com – do not post them here.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Uploaded :slight_smile: However, Is not happened again since I posted it… So the logs may not help. I’ll keep an eye on it… Thanks for the support. :slight_smile:

I have also had this issue, since i bought the USB C docking station the connection via my 4k port has been getting worse and was taking longer and longer to connect to the point where i would have to open and close my laptop and several times before the 2nd screen connected. About 2 weeks the 4k connection stopped connecting completely. If i switch my HDMI leads the both monitors work from the non 4k port but no signal going to my monitor from my 4k port.

I am running a HP spectre x360 i7and running a pair of HP 23" monitors via the Plugable USB C docking station connected by the USB C cable that came with my plugable.

whats the next steps?

Hi Andrew,

Please the post above (https://support.plugable.com/t/plugable-usb-c-4k-keeps-disconnecting-and-reconnecting/17791/8?u=mitchell).

Just like you may have seen above, our next steps will be to request some logs from your system to best investigate further. Could you please keep the dock attached to your system, then navigate to our PlugDebug tool and follow the instructions there?

Thanks!

So I just received my OEM cable (p/n TBT3-40G80CM) and still have the same results. As I figured, I didn’t think it was the cable as I already have a high quality 100W PD and 40BGBps rated USB-C cable. Looks like I spent $35 on a cable I don’t really need.

Failed on me tonight I have a new Dump.zip uploaded to the “support” Email

FYI - Same issue as the first post BY @pwr2wh8 [pwr2wh8]. I have a Acer Spin 7, two Asus VP247 (DP Monitors) and a 32 Samsung Smart TV.

If I plug in the Acer OEM power supply into the 2nd USB-C port, things seem to be stable, however, without the OEM power supply in the 2nd USB Port I experience the same resetting issues stated above. The plugable device switches back and forward between my two DP monitors and the HDMI (Samsung TV).

@Mitchell, It seems to be a power handling issue. FYI, I used the USB-C Cable provided.

Correction - this device doesn’t even work with the OEM power supply. Three hours after plugging in the OEM power supply and the device is still cycling on and off. It’s now doing to with just the to DP monitors connected. I’ll most likely be returning this device.

Hi,

Please the post above (https://support.plugable.com/t/plugable-usb-c-4k-keeps-disconnecting-and-reconnecting/17791/8?u=mitchell).

Should you rather prefer a return for a refund, we can also assist with this via a prepaid shipping label. Please just contact us directly with your Amazon Order ID.

Thanks!

Mitchell

I just received my USB-C 4K and have been experiencing the same problem described here with the spontaneous disconnects/reconnects. I will follow directions above about running the debug tool but wanted to add my experience to the list. I am using all cables that came with the dock to connect to an X1 Yoga with two new 4K Thinkvision monitors connecting to the dock via DP cables.

Funny/Not Funny as I went to the page to run debug tool and following first step to download the tool, right after clicking the link to download the dock connects/reconnects. Not related and just coincidence I know…back to getting info from tool.

Has there been ANY progress made on this? I’m having the same problematic behavior that results in the dock coming back to life but the laptop running on batteries.

Have you seen this article?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Recent-Lenovo-ThinkPad-laptops-have-a-problem-with-defective-Thunderbolt-Controllers.451061.0.html

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht508988