Plugable USB 3.1 Gen 2 NVMe Enclosure - E:\ is not accessible - incorrect function error

Hi this is similar to another question here. I have a couple internal M.2 ssds that are NVMe M.2 2280 and I am getting this error:

“E:\ is not accessible.

Incorrect function.”

The one I have plugged in above is a new empty one that’s also an NVMe M.2 2280 and I was hoping to clone into but I still get this error. I’ve tried making sure that it’s plugged in all the way but haven’t gotten any new results and am still unable to clone to it. Would there happen to be a way to troubleshoot this?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry, this M.2 SATA SSD is not compatible with our USBC-NVME enclosure.

The drive can be identified as a SATA drive from the two notches in the M.2 edge connector ( however some PCI Express NVMe SSDs also have two notches indicating they only support two of the four available PCIe lanes ), or in this case Samsung has printed the specifications on the label:

I am sorry, this enclosure is only compatible with NVMe SSDs and when an incompatible drive is installed it will show up with the drive is not accessible message within Windows.

If the other SSDs are not properly labeled with either “NVMe” or “SATA” on the label, please let me know the manufacturer name(s) and model(s) and I will be happy to help look up their specifications to see if these are also SATA SSDs.

Thank you, and I apologize for this inconvenience.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Pat,

I see that my 2nd SSD besides this one is also an M.2 SATA SSD as it looks the same as this one. I was having the same problem and so I think it does mean that these are not compatible with the enclosure. I’ll have to be careful in reading that next time. Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Thank you for replying back, I’m sorry that these SSDs and adapter are not compatible but glad to hear that we have isolated the cause of this behavior for both SSDs.

I will go ahead and close this thread, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to start a new thread, or contact our support team directly via email at ‘support@plugable.com’ and we will be happy to help.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com