Plugable usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter

If I have a old network card in my pc desktop that limits me to 100mbps download speed and I have 500mbps internet service, will the usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter work to bypass the card internally and get me higher speed to my router? found at link below

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigab…

Hi Jay,

Thanks for you post! This is a great question dependent on a few different factors including the networking setup inside of the location, but without getting overly technical, yes, this device will allow you up to to see increased speeds on your computer that does not support speeds over 10/100.

The except below is from the our product page ( https://plugable.com/products/usb3-e1… ) for this adapter on realistic expectation for usage both over USB 2.0 and 3.0:
“To maximize network access speeds, select a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Gigabit network adapter if your computer has a USB 3.0 port. USB 2.0 gigabit adapters are limited to maximum speeds of 480 Mbps by the USB 2.0 bus, while USB 3.0 bus allows the USB3-E1000 to realize the full potential of a Gigabit network, since it isn’t limited by the USB bus speed. Testing in the Plugable lab using the iperf application on a local server have yielded speeds up to 890 Mbps. However real-world speeds around 400-600 Mbps are more realistic. When accessing sites on the internet, the bandwidth provided by your Internet service provider will likely determine your ultimate speeds.”

With that being said, typically you will not see 100% speed from your ISP under regular use. 80% is their expected Service Level, but you should still see a great increase in speed from your internal networking card!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Derek Nuzum
Plugable Support

Yes I just received the product and plugged it in my 3.0 port and cat5e cable straight to my router . I’m see super slow speeds, 40mbps. I can plug my Ethernet cable back into my computer and get twice that speed. What would cause this?

Hi Jay,

That is definitely not the expected behavior!

Could you please run our diagnostic program? It will gather device information and installation logs that will help me understand what happened.

To do this, please plug the adapter into your computer, then go to this page, and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When you run the program, it will create a zip file on your desktop with your computer name and the date. Please send that file directly to our support email address at support@plugable.com.

Please put “For Ticket #211457” in the subject line.

Thanks,

Derek Nuzum
Plugable Support

just sent the zip to you. thanks

check email. Still doesn’t work after instructions

Unfortunately, we were not able to resolve the speed issue on this computer, so the customer returned the adapter for a full refund. We will close this thread.

For similar questions or issues, please open a new thread or feel free to contact us directly at support@plugable.com.

Thanks!

Derek Nuzum
Plugable Support

Hello,
Can you help me how can I use this adapter device under a Huawei mobile android system?
Is there a driver for this?
Thank you so much!
Janos

Hi Janos,

Thanks for your post! Unfortunately,support in Android is dependent on the device manufacturer as they must support third-party/OTG devices and include the drivers for adapters in their OS builds.

We suggest reaching out to the device manufacturer to see which wired Ethernet adapters they have included support for. For your information, our USB3/C-E1000 Ethernet adapters use the ASIX AX88179 chipset.

If you have further questions, please send a message to support@plugable.com and we’d be happy to help!

I hope this helps,

Derek Nuzum
Plugable Techonologies