Plugable USB 2.0 Won't Work in Windows 7

So this has been bothering the daylights out of me lately.

For whatever reason the Ethernet adapter will not work in my Bootcamp Windows 7, but will with in my Mac OSX (though I have to restart it each time in Mac).

I’ve downloaded the drivers, tried repeatedly, nothing works. The lights don’t even turn on.

Any help would rock!

Hi O DE-

Thanks for posting with your issue, I’ll be happy to help.

Just a guess here, but did you install the “BootCamp Support Software” for Windows 7/8? This will be necessary to get all the hardware working correctly at a system level. If you haven’t done so already, please download and install from here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

If that doesn’t seem to help, please run our support tool, PlugDebug, on the Windows side of the system, and send the .zip it creates on your desktop to support@plugable.com with a link to this thread. Once I have a chance to take a look at these support logs, I’ll be able to recommend the next steps.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

I’ve already done the former, and I just sent the zip.

Thank you for the quick response, and I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Hi O DE-

Thanks for the logs!

I’m not sure exactly what’s going on here yet- definitely a driver issue though. I see the AX88178 device in device manager, however it doesn’t seem to be loading the drivers properly.

If you go to the Add/Remove programs portion of control panel (just type “appwiz.cpl” (without the quotes) in the search box in the start menu, and press enter, you should find an ASIX/AX88178 driver in the list- let’s uninstall that.

This time, let’s try installing the one from here:
http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/dr…

Please let me know how it goes! If no luck after installing, please shoot a new copy of the PlugDebug logs to support@plugable.com. There’s also a driver update for the intel USB 3.0 host controller that might help if this doesn’t do the trick.

Best-

Jeff

It seems I’m not quite sure how,
there’s no sort of .exe amongst the folders

Sorry I’m not terribly windows literate

Hi O DE-

Thanks for getting back to me!

Sorry, my mistake! I sent the wrong link, the one I sent requires a very manual installation process- useful in some scenarios but not so easy.

You should be able to download this one, extract the files from the .zip (or even just open and run while compressed), and the setup.exe inside the zipped folder is the one to use:
http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/dr…

Please let me know of any other questions and/or if this helps!

Best-

Jeff

Ah, thanks. It seems to have done nothing :c

I’ll email the updated file

Hi O DE-

Thanks for the updated PlugDebug report. Looking for lower level issues reveals that your system’s USB 3.0 host controller driver version is about 9 months out of date.

Please try installing the new version available at the link below and let me know if this helps:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta…

Best-

Jeff

Thanks,
but it still appears to do nothing.

The lights still won’t turn on and it says I have no driver installed.

Not sure if this helps, but when I have windows try to install the driver it finds the driver but keeps telling me that a device attached isn’t functioning.

Hi O DE-

Sorry to hear that the Windows side of your Mac continues to have issues with the USB2-E1000.

While I’m happy to take a look at a new copy of the PlugDebug report to confirm if the last updates both worked successfully, if you’d like to send a new one- however I’m not sure what other suggestions I can make here.

Clearly this seems to be a software issue with the Windows side if the adapter is working on the OS X side. If you can offer some further details on whether the prior driver installations completed successfully, or share a photo or screenshot of any of the errors you’ve seen, these clues could help me in recommending the right steps- however I’m afraid I can’t offer any other suggestions without this extra detail. Since the issue seems to be a software one, I’m afraid a replacement adapter isn’t likely to help, or I’d gladly send a pre-tested replacement.

Should gathering the details necessary for troubleshooting become too time consuming or frustrating and you prefer a return, just let me know- we’ll be happy to work with you on a return if you’re outside the 30 days allowed by Amazon.

Please don’t hesitate to let me know of other questions.

Best-

Jeff