hi, I have been using the Plugable adaptors for 2 add’l (Dell) monitors on my imac (2011) and they worked great. I just switched to a (late 2014) mac mini (OSX 10.10.5) and ordered a 3rd adaptor so I could still have 3 monitors. Everything worked fine for a couple of days, then I started getting some degradation on one of the monitors. I unplugged two of them to switch the adaptors and try to isolate the problem, and every since then I cannot get any monitor to work on the USB port with my Plugable adaptors at all. (Note, this was a ‘hot’ unplug, I did not power down monitors.)
Very frustrating since everything was working fine initially! Other notes:
- USB ports still work for other devices
- I now have 2 monitors plugged into the two thunderbolt ports, but initially had one in thunderbolt and two others with plugable adaptors through USB – that was working until i briefly unplugged the cords.
- I have also tried plugging the 3rd monitor into the hdmi port but the mini only officially supports two monitors so it only works if i unplug one of the thunderbolt monitors. From what I glean of other people running 2+ monitors on a mini, it seems the 3rd monitor must go through the USB port.
- most mystifying, the exact same dell monitors with the plugable adaptors work fine when we move them to my wife’s 2010 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.10.3.
- have tried PRAM reset and plugging in monitors in different orders, nothing changes
so is it an issue between the new Mac Mini graphics card and the plugable adaptor specifically? help! I am at my wits end, once you go to 3 monitors it is impossible to operate with two! Thanks for any help!