Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port Hub with 15W Power Adapter + Raspberry Pi

Hi Guys,

My Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port Hub with 15W Power Adapter is having an issue with my Model B Raspberry Pi.

Looked at it yesterday and the Hub/Pi is recycling on power up every 5 secs or so (and therefore does not boot). I think normally the red light comes on and then the blue USB lights are shown afterwards. No blue lights come on anymore.

The Hub is connected to the mains power. The Pi is powered by the Hub. Attached to the Hub is also TV Stick, SD card and External Drive 1TB.

The whole configuration has been fine for 1.5 years which is when the Hub was brought.

How can I debug where the fault lies. Can I use PlugDebug to see what is the issue. Is it the Hub or the Pi? The Pi is 2.5 years old.

Cheers
Ric

Hi Ric,

Thanks for contacting us! We’re sorry that your USB 2.0 7-Port Hub with 15W Power Adapter is not functioning right with your Model B Raspberry Pi.

Based on the behavior you described, it sounds like the power adapter for your hub might be failing.

Please try attaching only the most vital USB devices you need to the hub and try using your Pi with it. Please let us know if the hub’s behavior changes.

If you have another computer available to test the hub with, that might also help us narrow down the root cause.

We may need to look into sending you pretested replacement adapter or possibly an entire hub unit from our lab, as part of the one year warranty that we provide with all of our products.

Thank You,

Amanda
Plugable Technologies

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for getting back to me so fast.

It will be a least the weekend before I can test the hub out on a PC. I powering the Pi off the USB on the router not the hub and the configuration is hanging in there so not too much of a rush to get things sorted.

The hub was brought off Amazon UK over a year ago so out of warranty I would have thought.

I’ll get back to you when I get time but it will be nearer the weekend.

Thanks,
Ric.

No problem, Ric! Worst case, if your hub is still malfunctioning when you test it with your PC this weekend, we can make an exception in your case and process a pretested warranty replacement (free of charge) as a one time courtesy.

If it a replacement is needed, we’ll just need to confirm the following details:

1. Amazon order ID.
  2. Serial number from sticker on bottom of unit.
  3. Shipping address.

Please send that information to us directly at support@plugable.com so that your personal information is kept private and not available on this forum.

Once we have that information, we’ll follow up with a shipment tracking number for the replacement.

Please let us know if you have any questions on this.

Thank You,

Amanda
Plugable Technologies