plugable UGA-2K-A adapter has mind of its own

Why does my plugable UGA-2K-A adapter constantly throws the screen configuration out of balance, and frequently disables one of my monitors. Also, it switches modes for no reason. I have this adapter over a year now and have not had any problems…

Hi Dave-

Thanks for posting with your issue! I’ll be happy to help.

For starters, I’d like to verify:

1. The adapter has been working normally on the same system for over a year
  2. You only recently started having problems on the same system
  3. The display still works, just not properly.

I’m just trying to understand if this was all on the same computer, as well as any changes (other software installed, changed to a new monitor, etc) that happened before you started seeing issues. If you can share any details about if/how long things work normally, and what you’re doing to get back to normal, that will also be helpful. The more we know about your situation the better advice we can provide.

Attaching the output from the Display Link support tool in an email with a link to this page, attention Jeff, to support@plugable.com will help since that will have details like whether your computer is a Windows or Apple system, etc. Here’s a link with instructions for use and download:

http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

Once we have a few details about the system having problems I’m hopeful about getting you back to normal.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech
Plugable Technologies

Hi, Jeff.

Thank you for responding so quickly!

Yes, I forgot to mention system details. And other important information.
Toshiba Laptop L305 Windows Vista Home Premium IE9. 32bit OS, 500Gb HDD, 4Gb RAM, Intel core2 DUO CPU T5750 @ 2.0GHz @ 2.0GHz_______________
The only thing that took place was, we moved. And I obviously had to unplug everything. And did so very carefully. Was disconnected for about 3 months due to problems with the move. I just re-connected it all exactly as It was before moving.
I have 2 external ACER 24" monitors which are excellent for the price. The monitor size on the laptop is 15". All the jumpyness started after re-connecting it all. There will be sometimes 3 o 5 days where the settings hold after booting up. But usually, almost every other day when I boot up, it’s all out of config. Other issues I notice are:
for some reason the ‘OFF’ feature will be selected and/or ‘mirror’ will be selected and w/out my doing so. This is what I notice after booting up. I do run Norton 360 Premier, but this was on my machine b4 we moved and had no conflicts. That’s about all I could offer. I hope it helps

Hi Dave-

Thanks for the extra information about your system, however the output from the DisplayLink support tool has other information I need to be able to be helpful on this.

I’m sorry I can’t be more assistance without these details.

Attaching the output from the Display Link support tool in an email with a link to this page, attention Jeff, to support@plugable.com will help me by collecting detailed logs from DisplayLink device failures as well as other relevant system information. Here’s a link with instructions for use and download:

http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech
Plugable Technologies

Hi, Jeff.
Sorry for the lapse in contact. I have been and still am very ill.
I wanted to get you an update of the issue I have been having, described above.

• The problem I mentioned in first 2 msgs has greatly decreased in frequency.
    The setting seem to be holding longer. It’s been over 2 weeks now and it’s holding.
    Rather than almost every other time I booted up, and needing to re-config it all.
    ==============================================================
    My Question is: IS IT OKAY to download the data collecting support tool you mentioned to me, and save it to my desktop, and run it if/when this problem happens again? Or does it automattically run after it’s downloaded? Because I know you said to use it right when the problem is happening in order to be able to get the most accurate info.
    Kind regards,
    dave

Hi Dave-

Sorry to hear you’re not well.

Hopefully you’re all set if things have been stable for a couple of weeks. The support tool won’t do anything until you run it, so feel free to download and save for later.

Best-

Jeff

Hi, Jeff.
The above mentioned problem just happened again, after about(i’m guessing) 3 weeks or so of stability.
I just turned on the computer and…The configuration jumped all out of balance again.(as fully described above).
I did nothing. As you requested, I immediately ran the display link_Plugable/support/tools program you gave me. So attached in a regular email is the most recent data. I had trouble attaching it in zipped format. So I had to attach all the files another way. Anyway, they are there or you to look at.
I hope you find something, as this is a very annoying problem.
kind regards
hope to hear back soon,
dave v.

Hi Dave-

Thanks for providing those logs- we can see that the device is having trouble setting the mode, and that it appears to be only a software-level issue.

Since your system is slightly older and has older hardware, and has been stable on Display Link 5.6, I’d recommend sticking with that version and reinstalling following the procedures detailed here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ti…

Specifically, you’ll want to make sure to:

1. Uninstall the “Display Link Core Software” (press windows key+r, type “appwiz.cpl”, press enter, double click DisplayLink Core Software)
  2. Run the display link cleaner from here: http://displaylink.com/techsupport_fi…
  3. Reinstall DisplayLink v5.6 from here:
    http://www.displaylink.com/support/sl…

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have other questions.

Best-

Jeff