Plugable UGA-165 USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI adapter not working

I recently purchased a third one, i have been operating with two just fine. I am using them to link my additional monitors to my laptop. The computer does not recognize the third adapter and the light does not come on. I am using a USB hub with it’s own power source with a total of 3.5 amps (i only have the three monitors plugged in). I cannot figure out what is wrong, please help!?

Hi Spencer,

We sent the following via email, but haven’t seen a response so we’re posting here as well in case the email didn’t make it through.

Thanks for contacting Plugable! I’ll be glad to assist.

Since you’ve already got two functional units (and thus the DisplayLink drivers are already installed and functional) I’d expect this new unit to fire up and initialize upon plugging in.

Can you try borrowing one of the USB cables from one of the current known-good adapters, and testing that cable with the new adapter to see if that allows it to start functioning?

If it doesn’t, we can investigate some troubleshooting log files, or if you’d prefer, I can have a replacement adapter and cable pre-tested in our labs and sent to you.

Please let me know how things go with a quick test using another cable, and we can go from there. Also, just to rule out any hub-related issues, for troubleshooting we’ll want to test the adapter directly connected to the PC to see if that allows it to detect/initialize.

Thanks!
Gary

Hi Gary!

Sorry for my delayed response. I was out of the office for the weekend. Ok so i have switched out the USB cables with the functioning adapters, and it still does not work. However, when i switch it out, the previously functioning adapter does not work nor does the new one?? I’m not getting a light to either adapter. strange huh?

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

No problem on the delay! Just wanted to make sure that you heard from us, one way or another. :slight_smile:

A good next step will be to run our troubleshooting/log-gathering tool called PlugDebug. It allows us to get a better idea of which drivers are on the system, as well as installation and error logs.

At your convenience, if you could please head over to:
http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

There you will find a download link as well as instructions - you’ll want to run the tool with all of the adapters attached (let’s do it in such a way where two adapters are working, and the 3rd is not).

After running the tool, please send over the .zip file it creates to support@plugable.com and we’ll have a look to see what the best steps will be.

Thanks!
Gary

i just tried with another (additional) USB chord, and the light still does not turn on and it is not functional on the new device. I tried the same chord on one of the existing, funtional adapter’s and it does work. So it looks like the problem does not lie with the USB connection, but rather with the adapter itself. I also tried the functional adapter/USB on the monitor that was not in use to make sure the problem was not with the monitor, and it also worked.

i will try diagnosing and let you know…

debug completed and zip file emailed to support@plugable.com please let me know. Thank you!

OK so i have completed the instructions you sent. Still not working correctly. However, this is what i have done…

i manage on office here and we have a total of 9 adapters, all the same model, 8 of them functioning correctly, this 9th adapter (the new one) is the only one that is not working correctly.

I got an adapter from another computer that was functioning correctly, plugged it into my computer and my third monitor, and it fires up perfectly. I then replaced the adapter that is not functioning correctly on the other computer and it does not work on that one either.

I have tried multiple monitors, multiple computers, multiple USB chords, uninstalled and re-installed the software. Still nothing. Unless you can think of a solution that i can’t, i think i have a bad adapter and need a replacement.

How soon can you send it to me? Next day air? I need it - like now.

Thank you.

Hi Spencer,

Thanks for the additional test results. Certainly sounds like the adapter is the culprit. Please send an email to support@plugable.com with the Amazon Order ID number for this adapter as well as your preferred shipping address, and I’ll do everything I can to get things processed ASAP.

Thanks!
Gary

email sent