Plugable UD-3900 ethernet not working

Hi - I have a UD-3900 docking station - and my ethernet connection is no longer working.
I have used a network cable tool to check the cable between my router and the docking station, and it’s fine, but no lights light up on the back of the docking station when I plug the ethernet cable in, and I don’t get a wired network connection on my PCs/laptops.
Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do, or if it might be a hardware issue?
Thanks,
Appy

Hi Appy, thanks for posting and I am sorry to hear this behavior! I will be happy to help.

If the LED lights are not lit on the Ethernet port then that usually points to one of two things, either the Ethernet port in the dock is faulty or there may be some other factor causing the connection not to work. These are rare but we want to rule them out to prevent a replacement dock from behaving in the same manner.

The two most common causes are a VoIP phone between the dock and network connection causing an issue (we can remove it temporarily to test), or the dock being connected to a network router/switch that only supports a half-duplex connection, and our dock only supports full-duplex. Half-duplex devices are pretty rare any more, but we just like to rule it out.

If a VoIP phone and half-duplex network device is not being used then it could very well be a hardware issue. We’d be happy to send a replacement under warranty and we will reach out to your email address used to register on our forums directly in order to facilitate this process.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, thanks for the e-mail.
I have now managed to get it so the lights on the back of the dock (where the ethernet cable goes in) are lit and flashing - but I still can’t get any internet (wired) on my PC/laptop.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Appy

The issue I’m now having is that I get the error “Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration” (when I run the windows diagnostic tool on the Plugable Ethernet network connection.
Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Appy

Does reinstalling the DisplayLink drivers and running the DisplyLink cleaner tool help?

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely. Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=64
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.5 M2 DisplayLink software, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+8.5+M2.exe
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation

If those steps do not help we’ll want to examine some logs from your system. To do so, please download and send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to us directly at support@plugable.com with ‘For Ticket 237072’ in the subject line. This will allow us to match things up and examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.