Plugable thuderbolt 3 dock won't charge Alienware m15 R6

The dock is working fine in all other aspects but doesn’t charge brand new alienware m15 R6

Hello Steve,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support!

I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with your dock, but I would be happy to help diagnose the issue.

The issue here is that your Alienware laptop likely does not allow charging through its Thunderbolt 4 port due to its large power requirement. According to the specifications of your laptop, it appears that your laptop either comes with a 180W or 240W power adapter. The largest amount of power delivery over Thunderbolt/USB-C is 100W at this time, which would not be enough to keep your laptop charged under heavy load. For this reason. Dell has likely decided to not allow charging over Thunderbolt and instead requires the laptop to be charged by the original power supply.

Sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Can you recommend a dock that would be better suited for my situation? No real need for charging since the laptop stays in its location to basically function as a desktop.

Hello Steve,

Most of our non-charging docking stations use DisplayLink to output displays, which is a USB graphics solution. Our Thunderbolt 3 docks use the native GPU to output displays, so your current Thunderbolt 3 dock may be the best dock for your setup if you are doing graphic intensive tasks such as gaming or rendering.

However, if your main use for this laptop is for general productivity tasks, then I’d be happy to recommend a DisplayLink based docking station instead.

Please let me know if you would like a recommendation for a DisplayLink based dock!

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

1 Like

I do use it for video editing so i guess I’ll stick with what i have. thank you

Hello Steve,

You are most welcome. Please do not hesitate to reach back out to Plugable Support if you have any other questions or concerns!

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.