Plugable TBT3-UDV second display shifts and shakes

Problem with new Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Plugable TBT3-UDV).
[NOTE THAT THE DEVICE IS NOT SELECTABLE WHEN CREATING THIS REPORT]

PC: Dell XPS 13 9350

When connected to the Plugable TBT3-UDV dock, the secondary display on external monitor after variable times of normal use (few minutes up to an hour) suddenly “scrolls” left and right spontaneously for 1-2 seconds and then settles with the desktop wrapped around from the right edge to the left and the left edge of the desktop ending up in the middle of the external display. Display continues to “shake” right and left quickly. This began today. Main display on laptop working normally. I am using “Extend these displays” in Windows settings to extend the desktop to the second monitor (no different than before).

I have updated my display driver, bios, and Thunderbolt software/driver all to the most recent from Dell. I have reinstalled from scratch the most recent display driver (using safe mode).

External display (Dell U2717D) is connected via DP-HDMI adapter provided with the dock and to monitor’s HDMI input via a quality HDMI cable. I previously tried DP->DP cable (quality one) which resulted in flickering.

All other devices connected to the dock work normally (USB external drive x2, audio, USB card reader device, ethernet).

Interestingly, the 2nd display will reset to normal functioning if I go into Windows display settings, change multiple display to display 1 only (in effect, stop sending display to 2nd monitor) and then turn it back to “extend desktop”. But the problem will repeat itself within minutes.
!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1688630/IMG_20180103_153819_inline.jpg?1515011984)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1688630/IMG_20180103_153819.jpg?1515011984)

(Note: we are working with Aaron on this issue via email and will post an update here with our findings.)

For anyone else who may encounter this kind of issue, we’ve tried the following and so far are seeing good results:

We had Aaron try to connect the monitor with a DP to DP cable instead of using the DP to HDMI adapter + HDMI to HDMI cable.

We then had Aaron go to his monitor on screen display menu, under Input Source selection, press and hold DP select key for 8 seconds to change the monitor setting from DP 1.2 to DP 1.1a.

So far it sounds like this has helped and the monitor is working properly when connected to the dock.

I’m having the same issue with an XPS 15 9560 and an Asus monitor. Unfortunately the monitor doesn’t have Display port thus I can’t try the options listed above. Is there another set of tricks I could try?

Hi Zachary,

Thanks for posting - unusual to hear of this with an HDMI display.

Can you please collect a set of system logs using our tool at the page below? It will save a .zip file to your desktop which you can then email to support@plugable.com for us to investigate further.

https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug/

Thanks!