Plugable dock for iMac 2020 runing MacOS Catalina

We use several iMac 2020 workstations. This model runs with a AMD 5500 XT graphics card. This model and graphics card is subject to kernel panic issues whenever a second monitor is added using HDMI, Display Port or TB3. Apple has been silent on this issue with this model. We have had two OS updates with no resolution (sorry for the pun).

1. can the Plugable USB C Cube - Mini Docking Station work with an iMac?

2. Would it resolve this issue? I assume no because we’d be connecting the second monitor through the TB3 connection and running the monitor through the same graphics card.

Any thoughts?

I realize this is not a Mac help forum but looking for solutions to a nagging problem. I would appreciate any answers on the Plugable device you can offer. Looks like a great item.

Cheers

Hi there!

Thank you for reaching out and inquiring about our UD-CUBE dock. The UD-CUBE would be compatible with your iMac 202 however you mentioned that you were having issues whenever you added a second monitor via HDMI, DisplayPort, or TB3.

I would be hesitant to suggest using the UD-CUBE as it relies on the host to provide a USB-C port with DisplayPort (Alt-Mode) support. We may still run into some compatibility issues with this solution.

That said, if you are looking to simply add a secondary monitor for light office work one thought would be to try one of our DisplayLink solutions such as our UGA-4KHDMI seen here: https://plugable.com/products/uga-4khdmi

The UGA-4KHDMI can be connected to one of your USB-A ports and acts as a virtual video graphics adapter that can help to provide video to one external monitor. The UGA-4KHDMI can support resolutions up to 2560x1440 at 60Hz refresh rates and up to
3440x1440 @ 50Hz.

Another possibility is our Silicon Motion-based graphics adapters such as the UGA-HDMI-S seen here: https://plugable.com/products/uga-hdmi-s

The UGA-HDMI-S can also be connected to either a USB-A or USB-C port and operates much the same way as the UGZ-4KHDMI adapter however only supports 1920x1080 resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate.

Please keep in mind that both adapters require additional software and can be downloaded through our Support pages here: https://plugable.com/pages/drivers

We also recommend these solutions for light office work and web activity as these adapters utilize a dynamic compression video technology and do not tie in directly to the host graphics stack. So these options are great if you are simply looking to extend (or mirror) your desktop experience without the requirement of heavier graphics applications such as CGI, CAD, or video games.

Should you elect to move forward with a purchase and find that these solutions do not meet your needs, we do offer a 30-day no-hassle return policy for all products sold by Plugable and fulfilled by Amazon.

I hope this information helps!

Best,
Michael S.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.