Plugable Dock Displays

Hello, We use these at work so I bought one for myself. I love these docks. Unfortunately, I’m noticing an issue I can’t seem to resolve and I’m hoping someone here can help me get down the right road!

Laptop: Lenovo P52s (20LBCTO1WW)
Displays: (2) Samsung 34" Ultrawide (LS34J550WQNXZA)
Dock: Plugable TBT3-UDZ

I have gotten this to work twice but as soon as my laptop goes to sleep, I’m back to the original issue I started with. This made me believe it was something with my laptop.

• I’ve taken all Windows Updates
  • I’ve taken all driver updates
  • I updated the dock firmware having followed instructions I found in this forum
  • I’ve removed all displays and connected the dock (everything works) Once I add a display the laptop sees the display and changes to add it. Thunderbolt Control Center will change the color of the “Attached device” from blue to a purple/orange gradient. The monitor never knows it connected it just keep cycling through the inputs.
  • I disabled Thunderbolt and rebooted. I enabled Thunderbolt and rebooted. Testing after each. No change.
  • When it is trying to load the displays, my screen continues to cycle like its loading it and immediately unload it.

I’m open to any suggestions you may have!

Hello there,

Thank you for posting on our support forum! I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with your TBT3-UDZ, but I would be happy to help diagnose the issue here.

First, can you confirm that you are trying to connect to your laptop using the included Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with your dock? We’ve seen issues arise when a third party cable is used.

Next, some steps we’ll want to take are to perform a power-cycle of the unit to reset its internal hub chipset. We’ve seen that this can often restore the dock back to a working state when one or more of its functions are not quite working. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect all USB peripherals and displays connected to the dock
  2. Disconnect the docking station from host machine, then disconnect the power adapter from power
  3. Leave unplugged for 1 minute for power to dissipate
  4. Connect docking station initially into power only
  5. Connect docking station to host machine, then connect USB peripherals and displays, then test for functionality

Please let me know if this helps at all.

Lastly, can you confirm that this issue is present no matter which USB-C port on your laptop you connect the dock to?

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I am using the supplied Plugable Thunderbolt 3 cable, also tried another Plugable supplied thunderbolt 3 cable from work, and a third party Thunderbolt 4 cable.

I only have 2 USB-C ports but only one of those is a thunderbolt port. I did not have success for either of them.

Lastly, I did perform the steps listed above but to no avail.

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for the response and for trying that.

Next, I’d like to request that you collect some log files from our PlugDebug tool and send them to us via email so we can look over them. With everything still attached to the dock (even if it appears to not be working) please follow the instructions on our PlugDebug page and send the ZIP file to us at support@plugable.comwith the subject line, “Ticket #398540”.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.