Plugable 4.0 USB Bluetooth Adapter - Can't connect bluetooth receiver

I bought the Plugable 4.0 for someone in London. I had to help them install it over the phone from the US. I had him disable the existing Intel bluetooth adapter in the device manager. We were then able to install all the correct Broadcom adapters. The Plugable appears in his control panel and his bluetooth receiver connected to his hifi - the brand is QED - was detected and appears in devices also. Then something wierd happens: left clicking on the QED I would expect a dialogue box asking if I want to pair the device / connect to it, etc. But instead he gets a message ‘to see device tasks, right click’.Right clicking just gives him a typical list - remove, properties, settings. In short, no way to pair/connect. Furthermore, in ‘manage audio devices’ there was no option to switch his Realtek computer speakers to bluetooth headset, device, etc. This person unfortunately is not very computer literate, and so I could not seem to get him to figure out the version of Window OS that his computer runs, but I know it’s at least Windows 8 or later.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for contacting us about this. I understand your frustration. Helping a person with a complicated task over the phone is difficult, especially if they are not computer literate.

You might want to try remotely accessing that person’s computer over the internet. That helps a lot. It’s what I used to do when I did telephone support for another company.

About the Bluetooth issue, I suspect that some remnant of the software or settings from the previous adapter is still on the computer affecting it. Also, we often find in situations where a previous adapter didn’t work, and so a person purchased ours, that the problem wasn’t the previous adapter, but a issue in the Bluetooth software of the computer that affects both adapters.

What I usually do at this point is ask the person to run our debugging software. It will gather driver and software information that will probably allow me to see what is wrong.

It’s not too hard to do, so hopefully you will be able to help your friend to run it. With the adapter plugged in, please have your friend go to this page, and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Thank you,

David
Plugable Support.

OK thanks I’ll try the debugger.

A couple of questions:

1. should I actually remove the Intel Bluetooth adapter instead of just disabling it?

2. I’m pretty sure that after disabling the Intel adapter, we noticed that the MS enumerator disappeared from the device manager…and I think I read in your instructions that the enumerator is needed. Is that right? Thanks!

Dan K.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for trying the debugger. Once i have the results from it, I’ll be able to guide you more specifically, but the answer to your questions are:

1. Yes, you should delete the driver for the Intel Bluetooth adapter if you want ours to work.

2. If you haven’t specifically removed the Microsoft Enumerator, it should come back when our device is plugged in. Again, I should be able to see this in the debugging files.

Thanks!

David