Plugable 3900 3 USB

Hello. I have an older laptop running on Windows 7 and I just bought the Plugable 3900. I updated the the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 drivers and then the regular drivers for the P3900, yet I will not connect via USB. The Device Manager tells me the adapter is working properly, however the laptop does not recognize the 2 screens that are attached to the adapter. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry your new docking station isn’t working as expected. I would be happy to help!

Given your description, let’s check a few simple things first…

Since device manager is showing the unit this may be redundant, but can you confirm there is a solid blue light on the front of the unit? This indicates it is getting power.

Assuming that is the case, the next thing to check is the monitors themselves. Can you double-check that the correct inputs are selected on each monitor?

Can you also let me know what model monitors you are using and the type of cables used to connect each (what connector is on each end of the cable)? Sometimes a faulty or non-standard cable of adapter can cause a problem.

If checking those things helps, great! If not, we’ll want to get more detail about your system. If you would, please keep everything connected and send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket 130047’ in the subject line as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps. If you could also include your Amazon Order ID number that would be most helpful.

Just let us know the results when you have time and please send the PlugDebug file if necessary and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Bob,
Thanks very much for the follow up. I believe I found the problem(s).

1. I didn’t restart after updating the drivers because the system did recognize the P3900 in the Device Manager and it didn’t ask for a restart either. Beginners mistake I guess…
  2. In the Display settings the laptop initially couldn’t find the monitors despite showing an active connection to the P3900 (I guess that was the most confusing part of it), however after the restart that has changed and I am now able to use it the way I intended to.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back with the update. I’m glad everything is working properly after the system restart.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future!

Bob