Planning to use USBC-6950U with an M1 macbook - are 3 externals possible?

Hello! I have a few questions about the USBC-6950U, which I’m thinking of buying for use with a 2020 m1 macbook pro, to allow me 2 (or is that 3?) external displays!

1. Can I use it with my existing hub? As the macbook is very short of output ports, rather than plug the USBC-6950U directly into one of the macbook’s only two usb-c sockets, I’d like to run it from a usb-c socket on a hub I already use - specifically, this Anker Power Expand+ 7 hub (https://www.anker.com/products/variant/usb-c-hub,-7in1-usb-c-adapter/A83460A1)
    Is that likely to work, or must the USBC-6950U be connected directly to the macbook?

2. Am I right in thinking both of the USBC-6950U’s outputs are driven by displaylink? And if so, does that mean that I can potentially drive a third external screen with a separate direct non-displaylink HDMI (“alt mode”?) output (e.g. via my aforementioned hub as I currently do)?

I think I’d happily settle for 1080p@30hz if I can get three external displays out of this setup. (The USBC-6950U seems like good future-proofing for when I eventually invest in a couple of 4k screens)

1. Can you give me any idea of likely time of UK/Europe availability of UD-3900PDZ or UD-ULTC4K? They’re both unavailable here currently (hence me contemplating the USBC-6950U).

Thank you very much for any info!

p.s. The support on this site is great - it’s been useful to me already in researching and has given me confidence around Plugable support and community - thanks all!

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I would be happy to answer your questions.

_1: Can I use it with my existing hub? … I’d like to run it from a usb-c socket on a hub I already use - specifically, this Anker Power Expand+ 7 hub (_https://www.anker.com/products/variant/usb-c-hub,-7in1-usb-c-adapter/A83460A1__) … Is that likely to work, or must the USBC-6950U be connected directly to the macbook?

Although we recommend connecting our docks and adapters directly to the host for best results, we have had good results from other customers who connected their Plugable products to other vendors’ hubs. So although I could state it “should” work, I would not be able to guarantee compatibility as we have not tested with your specific hub at this time. Should you elect to move forward with a purchase and find that there is a compatibility issue that arises, we do offer a 30-day no-hassle return policy for all products sold by Plugable and fulfilled by Amazon.

_2: Am I right in thinking both of the USBC-6950U’s outputs are driven by displaylink? _

Yes, your thinking would be correct. Both outputs support DisplayLink.

_3. And if so, does that mean that I can potentially drive a third external screen with a separate direct non-displaylink HDMI (“alt mode”?) output (e.g. via my aforementioned hub as I currently do)? _

Once again, correct. You can certainly drive a third screen through a connection that supports Alt-Mode.

4. Can you give me any idea of likely time of UK/Europe availability of UD-3900PDZ or UD-ULTC4K? They’re both unavailable here currently (hence me contemplating the USBC-6950U).

Unfortunately, we are dealing with low stock supplies due to certain world events and will not see stock for the UD-3900PDZ or UD-ULTC4K until mid/late November in the UK. In addition, I am sorry to report that at this time we are no longer selling in the EU. We do hope to be back in the EU in the future but at this time if you are able to purchase from the UK we recommend doing so.

I hope this helped to answer your questions and if you have any further questions or concerns please let us know and we would be happy to further assist.

All the best,

Michael S.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the prompt reply, Michael, that’s really clear and helpful!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.