Pixelbook external monitor washed out, resolution mismatch via HDMI through a USB-C hub

Trying to connect an external monitor to the Pixelbook via HDMI through a USB-C hub (the 7-in-1).

The external monitor looks washed out, with a yellow, pink hue/tint. The issue looks the same as that found here, but that bug was supposedly fixed: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=848540

The first time the external monitor was connected, it did work. It was after restarting the Pixelbook that the issue started.

I’ve noticed from the external monitor settings that the resolution appears to be different from that set in the Display section in Settings. The external monitor says the resolution is 960x600 but in Pixelbook’s Display section it is set to 1920x1080.

Steps tried:

• Hard reset the Pixelbook
  • Altered/reset the color calibration on the monitor
  • Tried different sequences of connecting the cables
  • Tried a different monitor
  • Tried every combination of settings (e.g., resolution, frequency) in the Display section of Settings
  • No, Night Light is not on

Version:

• ChromeOS: Version 93.0.4577.107 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Monitor: AOC i2367Fh

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I am sorry to hear that your hub is not functioning as expected, and would be happy to provide additional support.

To help diagnose the issue, may I ask you to please keep the device connected to your Pixelbook and leave everything still attached (even if not working as expected) and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug? → https://plugable.com/pages/plugdebug

Once you have the logs, simply send an email to support@plugable.com with the subject line of “Ticket 356753” so that we can prioritize that case and match it to this inquiry.

If you could provide your Amazon Order ID (or other proof of purchase) associated with your Plugable device, I would be happy to check on your warranty status as well.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Ryoma –

The PlugDebug page doesn’t have one specific for ChromeOS. I tried the Linux version of the PlugDebug tool on the Pixelbook but I was not able make the program run. Sounds like I need to enable the ChromeOS’s Linux development environment to get access to a Linux terminal in order to run the program?

I purchased the device on Sep 28th at Walmart.com. The order number is # 8538211-667613.

Thanks,
Leslie

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for providing the order information, and my apologies for the error!

One quick test we can do is to try connecting the UBSC-7IN1 to the USB-C port on the opposite side of your PixelBook, or to a different USB-C device (like a laptop, phone or tablet) to try to isolate the issue.

Could you kindly let me know if the issue persists after trying the other port and devices?

Thank you for your patience!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Well, I tried connecting my Pixel 4 phone to a monitor, but turns out Google has disabled the feature for the phone to display on an external monitor; rumor has it that it’s to promote Chromecast. I have no other USB-C devices.

I’ve tried on both ports of the Pixelbook, the same issue persists.

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for the update!

If you could kindly send an email to support@plugable.com with the subject line of “Ticket 356753” so that we can match it to this inquiry, I would be happy to proceed with a replacement hub to rule out any hardware issues.

If you could include your Amazon Order ID (or other proof of purchase) associated with your Plugable device, and a preferred shipping address in your email, that would be appreciated.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.