Pi zero syslog shows eth0: carrier lost

Hi all - I have a question about this adapert and Pi Zero.

I am using this adapter with a Raspberry Pi Zero (non WIFI) and I frequently lose ethernet connection for a few seconds, which causes problems with streaming.

This is …
Linux rpi-radio-strmr 5.4.79+ #1373 Mon Nov 23 13:18:15 GMT 2020 armv6l GNU/Linux

I see the following in the syslog:

Mar 9 13:03:03 rpi-radio-strmr dhcpcd[423]: eth0: carrier lost
Mar 9 13:03:03 rpi-radio-strmr avahi-daemon[274]: Withdrawing address record for 192.168.254.160 on eth0.
Mar 9 13:03:03 rpi-radio-strmr avahi-daemon[274]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.254.160.
Mar 9 13:03:03 rpi-radio-strmr avahi-daemon[274]: Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
Mar 9 13:03:03 rpi-radio-strmr dhcpcd[423]: eth0: deleting route to 192.168.254.0/24
Mar 9 13:03:03 rpi-radio-strmr dhcpcd[423]: eth0: deleting default route via 192.168.254.254
Mar 9 13:03:05 rpi-radio-strmr dhcpcd[423]: eth0: carrier acquired
Mar 9 13:03:05 rpi-radio-strmr kernel: [212573.246786] asix 1-1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xC5E1

PI is powered by a 5v 3amp reliable power supply.

Any ideas? Is the ASIX chip going to sleep or something? USB issue?

Thx, Scott.

Hello smeachum,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I’m sorry for the trouble here, and I’d be glad to help you. I’d like to ask a few questions about your setup to provide you with the best support:

• How long have you had the adapter? Is this a new issue, or an ongoing problem?
  • Are you using the official Raspberry Pi OS, or another distribution? With respect, we can't guarantee compatibility and quality of operation with all distributions.
  • What are you streaming, and how is it streaming? Is there another service involved?

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kevin
Plugable Support

I actually have 3 on various different pi zeros. This setup has been running for a few weeks with the carrier lost incident occurring very sporadically. It can go hours without error, but when it happens it can happen a few times within minutes of each other.

Ffmpeg is re-streaming a DVB-T stream using Pi dvb-t uHat — audio only — to an icecast server (also on the same pi). Total cpu usage is around 30% and that’s virtually all ffmpeg encoding to mp3.

I am using latest RaspberryOS (as of a few weeks ago).

Hello smeachum,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this isn’t something we can accurately test without the hat hardware. Just so I am clear, has the issue been happening since you purchased the adapter?

How does the adapter perform in normal situations without the hat or service? Do you still have signal drops? We’ve seen sporadic behavior and at times a lack of compatibility when different hats and services or OS are in play particularly for audio and streaming.

Thank you,

Kevin
Plugable Support

The issue occurs with just a bare bones pi zero and the usb Ethernet adaptor. It has happened from the moment I installed it.

Is it possible you have instructions on installing/making the latest driver? Or are there prebuilt, downloadable ones for different raspbian kernels?

Do you have any clues?

Thx, Scott

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.