Performance problem with UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 UGA.

I’m having what I consider a serious performance problem with my new UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 UGA.

My machine has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU with 4GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD running Windows 7 Ultimate. I’m running a dual monitor setup with the primary monitor being driven by a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 and the secondary monitor being driven by the plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 adapter. I’m running both 24" monitors at 1920x1080.

When I drag my windows I get horrible lag. It takes 5-7 seconds to drag a small window (such as default sized Task Manager) from the second monitor to the first monitor. When I’m dragging the window the CPUs stay near 0% utilization.

I’ve read several forum posts and I’ve performed the following steps in an attempt to improve performance:

1. Installed the latest NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 drivers
  2. Installed the latest UGA-2K-A drivers (version 5.6.31854)
  3. Executed Aero Troubleshooter – no problems identified
  4. Tested with Optimize for Video enabled and disabled – works better when disabled

Please advise what I can do to improve performance.

Thanks… Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for posting good information here about what you’ve tried - you’ve covered several of the top suspects (e.g. Aero being disabled). There’s clearly something unusual going on - what you describe is not normal - so let’s figure it out.

Given the low CPU utilization, suspicion would fall next on something tying up USB bus transfers.

1. Have you gotten any pop-ups from WIndows saying “this device can run faster” (warning that a USB 2.0 device is dropping down to 1.1 mode)?

2. Can you say what other USB devices and hubs you have connected? If you back off to the simplest possible USB configuration - remove all other devices, only have the UGA-2K-A connected to one of the laptop’s built-in ports. Also do a reboot for good measure. Does that affect performance at all?

With those two datapoints, we’ll figure out next steps …

Thanks again for this good information and your patience!
Bernie