Performance Loss Using Thunderbolt 3 60W Port

I recently tried the TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station with an HP Spectre x360 15t-df000 laptop and an LG 34UC98 monitor and I’ve run into a performance problem. With the laptop plugged into the 60W Thunderbolt 3 port, the GPU and/or CPU performance dramatically decreases. The most confusing part is that I get better performance while running solely on the laptop battery than I do using Thunderbolt power. In terms of performance it’s turned out to be laptop power cord > laptop battery > Thunderbolt 3 power via docking station .

My troubleshooting steps:

1. Set Windows 10 power performance to “Best Performance” in the notifications area of the taskbar.
  2. Tried two different Thunderbolt 3 cables.
  3. Tried directly connecting to the monitor via HDMI (was using DisplayPort from docking station to monitor while on Thunderbolt; both yielded same results).
  4. Tested the laptop alone on Thunderbolt power without external monitor.

Is there a setting I can change in Windows or the laptop’s BIOS that may fix this issue? Is the 60W port just not enough power, somehow less than the laptop’s battery?

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-8750H
GPU: Intel UHD 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti with Max-Q Design
RAM: 16GB

Hi Mike,

I can see that you also reached out to us directly via our direct support email address (support@plugable.com) with the identical query. I have just sent my direct reply to your original email asking for some additional information. Moving forward, please only reply to my direct email to help keep all communication in one place.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.