Pcie nvme with m and b key

will it work with this?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry but this SSD is not compatible with our USB-C to NVMe enclosure. While I cannot quite make out the model number, this appears to be a PCIe AHCI SSD. This type of drive can utilize 2 or 4 PCI express lanes and has an embedded single-drive SATA host controller built into the SSD itself, but is not compatible with the NVMe standards.

A quick way to check is to look for the NVMe Logo on the SSD, in this case the drive only has the PCI Express logo and no NVMe logo. We have a list of supported and tested SSD on our product page ( https://plugable.com/products/usbc-nvme ).

I am sorry this drive is not compatible with our USB-C NVMe enclosure.

Pat
Plugable Technology

it’s a KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3128GJ took out my asus rog stix GL703GE-ES73
I’ve tried googling it and it’s only mention in benchmarks articles and on sale on ebay
as pcie nvme ssd
please help me as i’m trying to change this to 512gb ssd i only have the one socket its an m key
i asked asus but have not received reply

Hi,

Thank you for the additional details, according to ASUS’s support page this system appears to have three SSD options from factory:

M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 256GB SSD
M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x2 128GB SSD
M.2 SATA3 256GB SSD
This being a 128GB SSD points to it being an NVMe SSD, however I do not know if it will be compatible with our USB-C to NVMe enclosure as we have not tested any NVMe SSDs with a B-Key cutout. Normally the B-Key cutout is for 2 PCIe lanes and SATA devices while NVMe is most commonly uses 4 PCIe lanes.

I am sorry I cannot be sure if this is an NVMe SSD based on the information provided, I recommend waiting on confirmation from ASUS as they will know best what their system supports.

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hi,

I wanted to update my last comment. We have purchased a Kingston A1000 PCIe 2x Lane PCIe NVMe SSD and tested with our enclosure. The drive is correctly detected and can be formatted and used in our enclosure. Most of the PCIe 2x lane NVMe SSDs are classified as economy drives and have poor performance compared to the 4x lane NVMe SSDs, this is reflected in the performance with our enclosure as well. Even when connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller the PCIe 2x lane drives will have significantly reduced performance compared to a 4x lane drive.

The enclosure can still be used with these drives but performance will be significantly reduced compared to the 4x lane NVMe SSDs M-Key NVMe SSDs.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, we are happy to help!

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies