Only 2 out of 4 monitors working

I have a Dell XPS8940 desktop that has one USB C port in the front. When I plug the docking station into that port, only monitors in the 1 and 2 HDMI ports work. This tells me that that my USB C port on my Dell does not support Alt Mode or DisplayPort. I would like suggestions on how to resolve this with either a PCIe card that supports Alt Mode, or a DisplayPort to USB adapter. Thanks

Hi Shane,

Thanks for reaching out to Plugable support! I’d be happy to help with that.

When it comes to ultimate support for USB-C ports, this is typically a function of the motherboard and a hardware issue. Essentially the USB-C port needs to be connected directly to the graphics processing unit via DisplayPort Alt Mode in order for it to function. If this is being connected to a desktop computer, typically adding this functionality is not the best way forward, because desktop computers have PCI expansion slots specifically made for adding additional graphics processing units. Most modern laptops do come equipped with usbc ports that support display port alt mode as an alternative for display expansion.

If your computer does not support this functionality, there are other devices that we sell that do allow for the expansion of additional displays that can work without the use of DisplayPort Alt Mode.

If you could provide us with more information as to the exact make and model of your computer, I would be happy to verify the compatibility with such devices to give you a few options.

Thank you for giving us a chance to help.

Thank you for replying, RichardA. What you are saying makes sense because I have my work laptop (Dell Precision 3520) that works perfectly with the UD-3900C4 but does not work separately with my personal desktop Dell XPS8940. My personal desktop has 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort which I am going to connect to the DVI connectors of two of the monitors while connecting to the other monitors through the docking station. At this point, I am going to give this a try and I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the information.

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the update.

Richard A
Plugable Technologies
https://plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.