NVIDIA display settings are not available

Hi Sunarto,

Thanks for sending the updated log file, the drives did roll back to previous versions according to the logs.

Per your description and based on the logs the docking station is working as expected, I am unsure why it Counter Strike would have worked through the docking station before, or why the NVIDIA Display Settings would have opened as if the docking station was using the NVIDIA graphics instead of the DisplayLink software.

As the desired behavior is not the expected behavior of the docking station I do not have a method for restoring its previous behavior, is should not have been working as described in the first place and is not designed to behave as described.

We normally recommend our USB 3 docking stations for use with office and web browsing applications only, and discourage purchasing these for use with 2D and 3D graphics software, full screen video playback, and gaming as the docking station has limited USB 3 bandwidth and reduced 2D and 3D graphics acceleration normally provided by the graphics hardware ( but unavailable to the DisplayLink graphics software ).

I am sorry I don’t have a resolution to restore the previous behavior through the docking station, however based on Dell’s specifications the system does include a HDMI port and the monitor can be connected directly to the system to utilize the computer’s internal graphics controller while playing games or when access to the NVIDIA control panel is necessary. The Windows Display Settings ( right-click on the desktop and select “Display Settings” ) can manage the external display settings, and position.

I am sorry I don’t have a solution to restore the previous behavior.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Dear Pat,

Thank you for explaining it thoroughly for me. I appreciate the help you’ve given me. Do you guys have higher end plugable docking station that might let me play 2D and 3D grahics software through the docking station? or is it just like you’ve stated, that USB 3 docking stations are for use with office and web browsing only?

Cheers,

Sunarto

Hi Pat,

Would it be possible for me to still use plugable for everything it brings except the 2nd display alternate? Meaning I’d still like to connect to plugable for the ethernet port, secondary mouse and keyboard, etc, and have my laptop conected directly to a second display with HDMI cable as you’ve mentioned. Would it work like that?

Thanks
Sunarto

Hi Sunarto,

Would it be possible for me to still use plugable for everything it brings except the 2nd display alternate?

Yes, the second display can be connected directly to the computer and the docking station can still handle additional external displays ( for example if you had multiple displays extended ) as well as the USB devices, network, audio etc.

Do you guys have higher end plugable docking station that might let me play 2D and 3D grahics software through the docking station?

One of our USB-C docking stations should be compatible with this system. The computer supports USB-C DisplayPort Alternate mode which directly connects the USB-C port to the computer’s internal graphics controller. A display connected to a compatible USB-C docking station would behave just like a display connected directly to the laptop’s HDMI output.

For example, our USB-C Mini Docking Station with 85W Power Delivery ( https://plugable.com/products/ud-cam ) may be a good fit. This docking station supports one external HDMI display up to 4K resolution at 30Hz refresh rate ( up to 2K resolution at 60Hz refresh rate ). Additionally, this docking station provides four USB 3.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet, and a combined 3.5mm TRRS Stereo headphone and microphone port. On supported systems, this docking station is capable of providing up to 85 watts of charging to the host system, based on Dell’s description I expect this docking station can power the computer, if the original Dell power supply is rated at 90W or less this docking station should be able to power the computer.

Before replacing the docking station, we can try one thing that I just thought about. Lets try mirroring the internal display to the external and see if this allows for the improved graphics performance. When in mirrored mode the computer should be able to utilize the NVIDIA graphics for the internal display and then just send the same output to the external display, the DisplayLink software shouldn’t have to recalculate everything which may result in the previous behavior you had before the power reset the system.

To enable mirrored mode, please try the following:

1. Open the laptop lid
  2. Use the Windows hotkey “Windows + P” by pressing and holding the Windows flag key in the lower left corner of the keyboard and tapping the ‘p’ key, then releasing the Windows flag key
  3. Select the “mirrored” option from the pop-out menu on the right side of the screen
  4. Right-click on the desktop and select “Display Settings” from the drop down menu
  5. Scroll down if necessary and adjust the display resolution to match the external display, it looks like 1366 x 768 from the log file
  6. Close the laptop lid, check to see if the display is still set to mirror, if not we may need to reset the mirror settings using the ‘Window+P’ shortcut or through the Display Settings panel by selecting the display and under “Multiple Monitors” selecting the “Mirror” option

Please let me know if mirroring the displays helps to restore the previous functionality to the NVIDIA settings and games.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies