number lock problem

When I plug my Plugable USB 2.0 UD-160-A docking station into my ASUS EEE 1000H netbook with Windows XP my Microsoft Wireless 5000 keyboard, the number lock is by default toggled “off” and I must push the “num lock” button on the wireless keyboard to toggle it to “on”. When I unplug the netbook from the docking station the number lock on the netbook keyboard is then toggled to “off” and I must push “function+num” lock to toggle back to “on”. In my business I frequently plug in the docking station for a few minutes to use my large monitor with the wireless keyboard and then unplug it for a few minutes to walk around with the netbook and use the built in keyboard. Because of the number lock issue I must constantly toggle it on and off every time I plug it in or unplug it. Please advise.

Hi!

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear you’ve been having problems with the UD-160A and num lock!

Unfortunately the num lock behavior can be very unique to every system. For example in some systems you can set it to always on in the BIOS of the laptop.

We did some tests here: Connected a USB keyboard on a UD-160A. Then the UD-160A to a desktop computer. Turned the num lock on and it turned on on both keyboards. Removing the UD-160A from the desktop didn’t result in turning off the num key on the keyboard directly connected to the computer.

As a workaround, you can download a freeware program called NumLocker. This can force the num lock to stay always on - even if you accidentally press the num lock key it will still stay on . You can set it to start when your computer starts.

Let us know if this helps, if it doesn’t we can continue investigating for a solution!

Regards,