Not charging laptop

Hello Carl,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you. However, we’ll need to know more information to be able to help.

1. Was charging working before and has recently stopped? Or is this the first time you’re trying to setup the dock?

2. What brand and model laptop do you have? I ask because not all computers with USB-C ports can support charging over USB-C, or they may require more power than our dock can offer.

3. Are you connecting the dock using the provided USB-C to USB-C cable it shipped with? (I apologize I was unable to tell from your photo)

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hi Joshua, first off I greatly appreciate you getting back to me on this. To answer your first question is it was the very first time we set it up we just bought it and I set it up. The second question I can tell you that it’s an HP laptop as it’s my wife’s work computer and she couldn’t find the info anywhere anywhere on the exact model, so I do understand about the USB – C port. I know this is a tough question but off the top of your head do a lot of HP laptops USB – C port on them not work with this? Finally your last question yes I absolutely did use the USB – C cable that came with the docking station.

Thanks again for the reply it’s much appreciated and I will try to find her exact model of her laptop at some point. Carl

You’re most welcome for the reply, Carl!

Thank you for the additional information. For the unknown HP model information, fortunately I can help you there! Check out this link from HP here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108 It should help to find the information for what model you have, specifically I’ll be looking for the “Product number (SKU, part number)” that is described at that page if possible.

Once you’re able to let me know, I’ll go ahead and look up the specs to see what we think should be happening here, and I can hopefully offer some recommendations.

“I know this is a tough question but off the top of your head do a lot of HP laptops USB – C port on them not work with this?”
Honestly it really can vary from model to model. Generally speaking newer models within the last couple of years often can support charging over C, but we still see models here and there that lack support. HP has a trend for their more entry level home or business focused laptops to only offer basic “data-only” C ports that may (but not always) lack charging and sometimes also lack video support (often reserving those features for higher end “pro” models).

Best wishes,
Josh

Thanks again Josh I will have to check her laptop tomorrow as she did not bring it home tonight and only sent me this picture this afternoon. Thanks again, Carl.

Hi Joshua, here is a quick print screen of what the laptop is that the docking station is not charging the laptop. Can you let me know if this laptop will not support charging in the USB – C port, I’d greatly appreciate it. Carl

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the information! Looking up the specs for that model here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06955650

Unfortunately the USB-C port is as I suspected, “data-only” with no charging or video abilities:
“(1) USB Type-C 3.2 Gen 1 (data transfer only)”

This means that unfortunately no dock will be able to charge the system. In addition, for our dock it will also cause the “HDMI 4K” port on the back to not function, although all other functions (2x DisplayPort outputs, USB ports, Ethernet, audio in/out) are expected to still work.

My apologies for the bad news here!

Best wishes,
Josh

I kind of figured but appreciate the feedback as I did plug it into the 2K for her monitor and that works fine! Take care, Carl

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.