Nook HD Ethernet connection

Hi, I just purchased your USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Network RJ45 Adapter and did a lot of research to try and figure out if I could use it to get a wired ethernet connection on my new Nook HD because it operates on Android Ice cream sandwich. I bought a A Female To Female USB to connect to the usb end of the charger to the ethernet adapter and turned on airplane mode, but nothing is responding. I would really love for this to work, please help!

I know no one is probably working today (at least I hope not), so a reply this very day is not necessary, just whenever you can. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Hi L,

Thanks for posting your question about connecting your Nook HD to the 10/100 Ethernet adapter. I wish I had better news, but unfortunately, I don’t believe it’s going to work.

Here’s why –

USB operates in a Host / device (A/b) mode where a host (the computer) will have devices connected to it and will control and facilitate communication. For your Nook to operate as a Host to the 10 / 100 Ethernet adapter it would need to have the host functionality built in.

Some devices do allow a downstream or “b” connection to also operate in host mode, this is known as “USB On The Go”.

I wasn’t able to find any reference to USB On The Go capability for the Nook HD. If I’m mistaken and it does have USB On The Go built in, the next requirement would be to have the driver included in the particular Android build that your Nook is running. Even though the driver may be present in the base ICS, manufacturers choose what to include and not include and often remove things that aren’t in use.

Sorry for the bad news, let me know if I’m mistaken or if I’ve misunderstood and we’ll do what we cant to help.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Jerome.

Thank you so much for the reply! I will try to see what I can find on all of this and possibly get back to you. :slight_smile:

Thanks L,

If the Nook HD supports OTG, or On The Go, there’s hope!

Let us know if there’s anything else we can help with.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Jerome.

Good Afternoon Jerome! I have some news, I just talked to a Rep. from Barnes & Noble.com and he was very helpful. He said that the Nook HD does not support USB OTG, BUT, he said that he would send a mail to make it available by next software update! I mean its not for certain, but he said he will do his best to put pressure from his side and that the final decision will be from BN and the technical team of course. I’m going to be checking on updates for it and hopefully it will be added!

Hi L,

Thanks for posting back with that update! That’s great news for Nook owners, we’ll be interested to know if OTG makes it into the Nook.

Happy New Year!!!
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies