No image on monitor

I’ve got two Plugable UGA-2K-A adapters today and trying to setup them. The latest version of DisplayLink drivers is installed and functions. I can see additional monitors under Control panel->Displays->Screen resolution however both monitors are completely black.

I have two similar adapters (Arkview Viewplex) that work just fine on the same machine. I need to upgrade them to Plugable UGA-2K-A to support better resolution.

I run Windows 7 64it on HP quad core laptop with 8Gb RAM.

Any ideas?

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for posting! Sorry to know about the trouble you are having with the display on the monitors connected through the Plugable UGA-2K-A. Let me try to help.

A couple of quick questions to understand the setup and the issue better-:

1. What are the make and models (or specs) of the two monitors?

2. Are the monitors connected through VGA or DVI or HDMI?

3. What is the resolution that has been set for the monitors in the Windows Screen Resolution Control Panel?

4. Is the Green LED on the Plugable UGA-2K-A Adapters lit?

Once you post back with this information, we will figure out the next steps.

Thanks for your patience while we figure this out!

Regards,
Roze

Rose,

thank you for looking into this. See my answers,

1. Viewsonic VX2035WM

2. DVI

3. Native, 1680x1050

4. Green LED is on

The same setup works with older DisplayLink compatible adapters, Arkview Viewplex.

Sergey,

Thanks for the information! Here are some assumptions I am making from the information provided-:

Earlier setup-: 2 Monitors ( both Viewsonic VX2035WM) connected through 2 Arkview Viewplex adapters via DVI to HP quad core laptop with Windows 7 64bit. Screen Resolution control panel shows the resolution of both monitors set at their native resolution of 1680x1050. Display on both monitors work fine.

New setup-: 2 Monitors ( both Viewsonic VX2035WM) connected through 2 Plugable UGA-2K-A adapters via DVI to HP quad core laptop with Windows 7 64bit. Windows detects both monitors and Screen Resolution control panel shows the resolution of both monitors set at their native resolution of 1680x1050. Both monitors display a black screen.

1. Are my assumptions about the setup and the issue correct? If not, could you let me know which part(s) of my assumptions are wrong?

2. As a sanity test could you confirm that the DVI cable connectors are tightly connected on both the monitor and the Adapter end?

3. Do the monitors connected through the Plugable UGA-2K-A display any error messages like ‘No Signal’?

4. Are you seeing the black screen because the monitors have gone to sleep?

5. What is the current version of DisplayLink drivers installed on the system?

6. If you reconnect the Arkview Viewplex adapters instead of the Plugable UGA-2K-A do the monitors start displaying anything other than the black screen?

I am also curious as to why you wanted to upgrade to Plugable UGA-2K-A if the Arkview Viewplex was working well at 1680x1050 resolution which is the max resolution that the monitors and Plugable UGA-2K-A will not help in setting higher resolutions since higher resolutions are not supported by the monitors anyway. Were you seeing any issues with the Arkview Viewplex adapters?

Regards,
Roze

Setup is exactly the same, just Plugable adapters produce no image at all.

Drivers: DisplayLink-5.6.31870

Monitors are not sleeping, cables connected and if I plug in Arkview adapters back - they work just fine.

I need to upgrade adapters because I’m buying large monitors. Decided to purchase adapters first.

Sergey,

Could you connect through VGA and check if there is any change in the display behavior?

It seems highly unlikely that a hardware failure is a root cause of this behavior since we have two units behaving the same way. So probably it’s something simple to fix that we are missing here.

Could you run the DisplayLink support tool (instructions here: http://plugable.com/support/displayli… ) and email the .zip to support@plugable.com.?

This would give us a better insight as to what is going on and figure out the next steps.

Thanks for your patience while we figure this out!

Regards,
Roze

Update: finally I received my new monitors. After playing with it a bit more I found that new monitors work if Plugable adapters are plugged in directly into USB ports (didn’t work with USB hub). So far so good.

Related question - are there any special requirements on “Plugable comptatibe” USB hub?

Sergey,

Thanks for the update! Glad to know that the display on the new monitors work fine when the Plugable UGA-2K-A adapters are plugged into inbuilt USB ports of the system.

The Plugable UGA-2K-A is a high powered USB device which requires nearly close to 500mA of power to work without issues. So any powered hub which is capable of providing this power to the port on which the unit is plugged into is compatible.

Our Plugable 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub With 3A Power Adapter is a premium 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub that is designed to maximize compatibility with high powered USB 2.0 devices. If you are looking to buy a powered hub, we would recommend buying the Plugable 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub With 3A Power Adapter.

If you need any additional help or information regarding any of our products, please feel free to post back here or shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze