No image for 10 minutes after boot

Have setup of three monitors, two on an EVGA Geforce GTX550 and one on the plugable UGA and it is an Acer AL2216W. It is connected directly to the USB port on my Dell computer (windows7) using either DVI and VGA input with same results. The resolution is set to 1680x1050. It takes 10 minutes for the monitor to have an image on the screen after starting the computer. I do not use sleep or hibernate. Often the Acer image will flash on and off but the monitor will not show the computer image for 10 minutes. When it finally works, it is OK but the wait is annoying at the least.

I have had this setup for a few years with no problem then without any apparent changes in my setup, this delay began to happen. I can live with it but any suggestions to eliminate the problem will be appreciated.

Hi Gene,

Thanks for your post, and for all the good information. It sounds like your DisplayLink drivers and USB graphics hardware are functioning once they get going, but it’s taking a while to get everything loaded. Knowing that this setup has been running for a couple of years and that it works after a delay points to a Windows slow down.

It’s common for PC’s to slow over time due to the accumulation of software and services that run automatically when the machine boots. If you feel comfortable making some adjustments, there’s a utility that helps control the start-up sequence. It’s called msconfig and you can start it by typing msconfig in the search box of the start menu.

Once msconfig starts you can look at the Startup tab and see if there are any listings for software that you no longer, or rarely use. Just uncheck a couple at a time and if you find that something you had been using no longer works, you can restart msconfig and re-enable the program. The changes will take effect after a reboot.

Here’s a link with more specific instructions on how to run msconfig.

http://www.guidingtech.com/247/how-to…

Let me know if this helps, if not we’ll figure out our next steps.

Thanks,
Jerome

Plugable Technologies

Jerome, Thanks for your quick response. I wish I could say that it worked, but t did not. I removed many of my programs leaving only the basic ones and my computer does boot slightly faster but the same problem exist with the plugable connected monitor. It still takes about 10 minutes to work. What is your next solution?
One bit of new information: If I restart my computer the problem does not exist. It only happens when reboot after the computer is off for a period of time. I do not know if that is new or if it has always been that way.

Hi Gene,

Would it be possible for you to try the adapter on another machine to check whether you get the same symptoms? If so, we’ll assume there’s something wrong with the hardware. If not, it will point to Windows being the issue.

Let me know if it’s possible to do this test, and if so what your result is.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Put it on my laptop and tried it three times. The latency times for the screen to image were 7, 5 and 4 minutes. It seems the longer it is disconnected from power, the longer it takes to get an image on the monitor. For your info the serial number is 389000300170 it is a UGA-2K-A model. What is next?

Hi Gene,

Thanks for that additional information. Let’s run the DisplayLink Support tool next.

Here’s a link with instructions on how to do that:
http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

After you run the tool, please forward the .zip file that it creates over to us at support@plugable.com .

Thanks,
Jerome.

Sent it today. Hope this helps solve the problem

For others who are interested, the issue was found to be caused by the monitor.

Jerome