No Eject option showing in Windows 10 when right clicking on drive in My PC (File Explorer)

When I have a drive in the Plugable USBC-SATA-V dock connected to my Windows 10 computer via USB-C cable, neither the device nor the drive shows up in the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media taskbar item. When using File Explorer, right-clicking on the drive pulls up a context menu, but does not list Eject as an option. It appears that Windows is treating a drive plugged in through this dock as a permanent drive. Is this a problem with my Windows setup or is this the expected behavior of this dock?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected.

This is not the normal behavior we would expect to see from a drive in this dock. Normally all USB drives will be given the option to safely eject, however if the operating system is actively using the drive it may suppress the safely eject option. Most commonly this happens when a hard drive that was once an operating system disk is connected to another computer, Windows may mistake the system files on the root of this drive as active files and prevent safely ejecting the hard drive, even if the drive is not actively in use.

Please let me know if the hard drive was formerly an operating system drive in another computer and has not been reformatted. We can go from there.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology

Additionally, if you have another hard drive we can connect this to the dock to see if another

Thanks for the response! The drives I tested it with have never been system drives. They were brand new and formatted in the dock and used to store large image files. Resource Monitor shows no activity on the device, but no option to Eject and it does not show up in the “Safely Remove” list in the task bar. It’s a mystery!

Hi,

Thanks for the additional details, is it possible to test with another Windows computer to verify if this issue follows the drives and hard drive dock or if it is isolated to a specific system?

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hi,

I wanted to check back in to see if you had a chance to test the drive on another computer and if the second computer also showed no eject option?

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology

Thanks for checking back. Unfortunately, I realized that I don’t have another Windows 10 computer with USB C! I can confirm that I can plug in the dock with a drive on a Mac and it provides me with an Eject option. I will try again to move the dock to my Windows 10 machine and use a fresh hard drive and see if the eject option shows.

Thanks for getting back to me! Glad it is working correctly on the Mac system. If you have another Windows 10 computer with USB-A then the included USB-C to USB-A cable can also be used to test the ejection option.

I hope this helps.

Pat
Plugable Technology

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.