No 4K on DisplayPort Monitors

BACKGROUND: Just upgraded my plugable ucb-c docking station to the UD-ULTC4K version to be able to have 3 external monitors at 4k resolution. Everything appears to be working fine except DisplayPort monitors max resolution is 2048 x 1152.

Laptop is a Hewlett-Packard Spectre X360 Convertible model 15-DF0013DX running the latest release of Windows 10 Pro. All drivers are updated to latest stable version.

Monitors are a Samsung U28E590 on the 4k port via HDMI cable and two Samsung LU28R55 on the DisplayPorts connected via AmazonBasics DisplayPort to HDMI cables. All three monitors are capable of 3840 x 2160 and display in that resolution when connected to the 4K HDMI port.

GOAL: Would like 3840 x 2160 resolution on the DisplayPort monitors. Recommendations?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

To get greater than 2048x1152 you must use active DisplayPort to HDMI adapters. Currently, your Amazon Basics cables are passive adapters which is why you cannot go higher in resolution.

We make this kind of active adapter, but we don’t make an all-in-one DP to HDMI cable like what you have now. Rather, our adapter would need to be used in combination with an HDMI to HDMI cable:
https://plugable.com/products/dp-hdmi/

Other active adapter cables should also work, so if you prefer an all-in-one adapter cable that’s certainly an option.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Joshua,

Thank you for the prompt and informative reply. The active adapters are out of stock. My monitors have DisplayPort inputs. I didn’t have any DisplayPort cables, but those are available in stock locally.

Will a DisplayPort cable between the Display port output on the UD-ULTC4K and the display port input on the monitor provide 4K resolution?

No problem!

If you have the option to use native DP to DP cables that would certainly be the best option. Yes, it will support up to 4K @ 60Hz as the only time the outputs can’t offer 4K is when using a passive DP to HDMI (or other) adapter. Native DP to DP and active DP adapters don’t have that limitation.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh,

Just plugged in the monitors with the DP-to-DP cable. Monitors started up in 4K. Didn’t have to do a thing. Thanks again for your assistance.

1 Like

You’re most welcome! Glad to hear that worked!

Best wishes,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.