Nix capture card colors wrong with higher FPS?

Hi I am having a issue with my Nix capture card. In streamlabs if I change my FPS in properties so that my Analogue Mega SG will look like for everyone else what I see in person. The colors become all messed up. The blues are very dark and the browns are not right. But if I set the FPS to 40 or 30 then the colors go back to normal. I would like to run it at 60 FPS. I set it to 60 and tried to manually adjust the color with the configure video settings but it never looks right. Plus the configure video settings becomes unresponsive and laggy. I’ve messed with YUV color space and range when I have it set to 60 and that doesn’t fix any problems either. Any help would be appreciated… Thanks.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I would be more than happy to answer your questions!

The particular change in coloring you are seeing is due to a main function of the capture card when connecting various source devices that do not output at a true 1920 x 1080 60FPS scaling. Frame Rate Up Conversion (or FRUC) utilizes duplicated frames over-layed on top of unique frames to “scale out” the inputted source device. FRUC is useful for source devices (such as retro upscalers, Nintendo Switch Consoles, and older generation devices that do not output at a native resolution of 1920 x 1080).

This can effect the color gamma range when converting the video signal over USB utilizing a UVC device (a device that utilize built in Microsoft based drivers for outputting video over USB 3.0) and is the reason why the color via the external display connected via the “out” port on the capture card may not match the one being recorded or streamed inside of OBS.

There is no ability to adjust or resolve this difference, without utilizing specific “post-processing” proprietary software for adjusting the color as the video is recorded and streamed, and increasing the strain of CPU resources needed in order to capture the inputted source device, and output it via a streaming platform. We do not currently release or believe in adding post-processing software, as it can increase the difficulty for setup, decrease stream quality due to high CPU usage, and can sometimes cause issues while gaming on the same system that is recording.

Here at Plugable Performance, our main concern is ensuring that the quality available via the NIX HDMI Streaming & Capture Card matches each users individual requirements. If you would prefer a device that allows for post-processing, I would be more than happy to provide a prepaid shipping label, and a full refund for the device, as I would not want you to be at means with what we believe is the smoothest and easiest way to get every individual gaming and streaming! If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us at support@plugable.com directly, and we would be more than happy to offer additional assistance.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

After attempting to send over information regarding why the user was running into this particular quality, we have not received a response back. We hope the information was helpful, but if they would like to continue troubleshooting the issue, or if anyone else has any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support