NIRVANA: 3 HD monitors (extended desktop), laptop lid closed, one cable into laptop. IS IT POSSIBLE?

I’m SO EXCITED at the prospect of this setup and want to get it right. I have a new laptop (Dell XPS 14z). Outputs include one minidisplay port, one HDMI, one USB 2 and one USB 3. The monitor I’m buying has only VGA or DVI input. I believe I can purchase one HDMI to DVI cable, one Mini Display to DVI cable and your UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter for Multiple Monitors which would go in one of the USB ports. But that’s three things to plug in everytime I sit down with the laptop and, together with my wireless keyboard/ mouse, consumes all my ports!

First of all, am I right so far? Second, in order to avoid all this cable fiddling every time I sit down to my desk, can I combine the above extender with the your Universal docking station? The idea is that I’d plug that into one of my USB’s and be all done. I’d plug two monitors into the docking station, and the third would first go to the above UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 adapter and then to the USB port on the docking station. Am I making sense? Any and all suggestions most welcome!
THANKS-- a friend sent me to you who RAVES about her 3 monitor set up.

Hi Judith,

Thanks for asking ahead, we’ll be happy to help! To get to three monitors with your laptop you have a couple of choices. You can use either of the on board video outputs but not both at the same time – So, a Universal Docking Stationwith a UGA-2K-A attached will get you two monitors with one cable and the third monitor can be connected to directly to the laptop.

If you really want a one cable connection, you’ll need another USB graphics adapter like the UGA-2K-A to connect to the docking station.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Jerome

Plugable Technologies