nexus 4 and USB 2.0 to 10/100 Ethernet Compatibility

will the nexus 4 work with this device? or any of the USB to Ethernet devices you have?

thanks

Hi Noel,

Thank you for posting the question here!

First of all, I think the Nexus 4 has a micro USB port instead of a full-sized USB port. In this case we’d recommend using our USB 2.0 OTG 10/100 Ethernet adapter (USB2-OTGE100) which has a micro USB connector instead of the USB 2.0 to 10/100 (USB2-E100) adapter which has a full-size connector.

(Those two adapters are using the same chipset AX88772, and the following information can apply to both of them. )

We are sorry but we haven’t tested the Nexus 4 and this adapter yet, and aren’t sure if it works or not.

Basically Android doesn’t allow users to install the device driver. If we wanted to connect any external device to Android tablet/smart phone, the device driver has to be built-in in the tablet/smart phone when they were shipped from the manufacturer. It all depends on the manufacturer or model if the device driver was built-in and active.

Since most of the time there wasn’t any information what kind of device drivers are built-in to a particular Android model, only way to find out if an external device works or not is to test it.

We have experienced that even if the Android tablet/smart phone model was the same, upgrading it to newer version may change the test result. For example, our USB2-OTGE100 Ethernet adapter was working with Nexus 7 (2012) when it’s ver 4.x, but after upgrading it into v 5.01, it’s no longer working. (v 5.1.x has fixed this later again.)

So far we haven’t heard any from our customers about Nexus 4, and we haven’t tested that smartphone, neither.

I am sorry that we don’t have a solid answer here, but hope this help!
Thanks again for asking!

Regards,
Sachiko
Plugable Techonologies

thanks for the reply. I am basically trying to bridge a wireless routers modem port to the phone and try to make the router think it is connected to a modem, and then share its 4 ports with wired devices. also found an app that may work in conjunction with the adapter called PPP2. thanks again for the reply.