I just replaced my failed USB3-SATA-UASP1 (3.0 lay flat) with the USBC-SATA-V (3.1 vertical). The old lay flat plugable had been in operation as an off-site backup with the same drive for over 5 years using the same Veritas System Recovery software. I installed a new pci express card to handle usb 3.1 since my system only supports usb 3.0, connected the same sata drive that had been in the old lay flat unit. Since I connected the new vertical 3.1 unit, I have been getting UASPStor 129 device resets during the backup copies. These device resets are causing the backup copies to fail.
Can you tell me if this a known problem and if so do you have a solution? I do have a 2nd lay flat unit that I can use if I have to. Thanks.
Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!
I recommend first trying the USBC-SATA-V connected directly to the computer’s native USB 3.0 port instead of the PCIe add-in card to help minimize changes from the original and working configuration. Additionally, please use the USB-A to USB-C cable provided with the USBC-SATA-V without any adapters or cable extensions.
For spinning disk hard drives the difference in speed between USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gbps) and USB 3.0 (up to 5Gbps) should be undetectable as data transfer speeds will be limited by the hard drive rather than the USB connection. Some SATA SSDs can operate above USB 3.0 5Gps maximum but are limited by the SATA III 6Gbps specification.
Please let me know if this helps to resolve the UASPStor 129 driver errors and allows the backup to complete successfully, and if not we can go from here.
Thanks Pat. I was planning on testing to a 3.0 port to rule out the new pci card, just wanted to see if this was a known problem. I will also test with the 2nd lay flat plugable. It looks like I am also getting the 129 resets when no backups are running; the only thing that drive is used for is for off-site backups.
After doing a little research it looks like this is a known Windows 10 problem with the uaspstor.sys driver with no know solution other than forcing windows to use the traditional usb 3.0 driver instead of the uaspstor.sys driver, although I haven’t verified that. Some drive enclosures seem to be more susceptible than others.
Ok, got thru a full week of backups with no USAPStor 129 reset errors since moving the plugable to a native 3.0 port indicating that the new pcie 3.1 card is the culprit, so no problems with the plugable.