New USB 3.0 HDMI Adapter Causes Computer to freeze!

Hi,

I just bought a USB 3.0 Plugable HDMI-DVI Adapter. I am plugging it into a Lenovo Win7 Laptop for a 3rd monitor. They system was working fine for over a year in the previous configuration with 1 VGA monitor. Now with the new monitor, the computer freezes after 20 minutes of use. The 3rd monitor works fine before the freeze happens.

Once it freezes, the only thing I can do is hard reboot it by holding down the power button. It then freezes about 20 minutes later. I have only noticed the freezing after a brief period of inactivity.

Now I am running the system without the 3rd monitor for a few days without freezing.

I downloaded the latest drivers from the website before initial install.

The laptop does not support USB 3.0. I bought the 3.0 version so that when I upgrade the laptop in a few years, the Plugable will work even better.

Thanks
-Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for posting! We’ll be able to help.

There are a some different things that could be causing what you’re seeing – from drivers to sleep settings to hardware on the system. But hopefully it’s just a driver version we can update.

To try to untangle it and find the cause, could you run DisplayLink’s support tool to gather logs, and email the .zip file it generates to support@plugable.com? Here’s how:
http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

That’ll give us enough information to figure out next steps, and get you up and running. Thanks for your patience!

Bernie

Done and Sent!

We are currently working with Ben to troubleshoot this issue.

Plugable Technologies.