New PC Install and Second Monitor Not Detecting

I have the old version of this dock, with 2 DP ports and 1 HDMI. My second monitor is connected to HDMI, but is not detecting. I just installed the latest drivers and have a fully updated install of Windows 11 also. Dock is otherwise fully funcitonal.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Hi Jeff​,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

This docking station relies on two graphics technologies to support up to three external displays.

The two DisplayPort outputs are controlled by DisplayLink USB Graphics Technology, this is a combination of software on the computer and hardware on the docking station which extends the capability of the computer to support more displays than the computer was designed to support. This requires installing the DisplayLink drivers for Windows ( https://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink ) or the DisplayLink Manager App for macOS and configuring macOS to support the external displays ( for macOS 13: https://kb.plugable.com/1595423, for macOS 11, and 12: https://kb.plugable.com/1185378 ).

The HDMI output relies on the computer’s internal graphics controller, it utilizes USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode (“Alt-Mode” for short). This is an optional USB Type-C port feature which is not enabled on all computers. This relies on the computer’s built-in graphics drivers and requires the docking station to be connected directly to a USB Type-C port with Alt-Mode capability using the original USB Type-C data cable provided with the docking station. USB Type-C cables from other products, or purchased separately online may be charging cables that do not support Alt-Mode video data.

For Windows:

1. Open the Start Menu and search for “msinfo32” and launch the first search result
  2. Please let me know the values from the following entries ( on the right column ):
    2a) “System Model”
    2b) “System SKU”
  3. Please feel free to attach a screenshot of this window to your reply email if you prefer by using the Windows Snipping Tool ( from the Start Menu search for “Snipping” ) and I can get the details from there

For macOS:

1. Open the Apple Menu > About this mac…
  2. Please let know the system model details and macOS version from this page
  3. Please feel free to attach a screenshot of this window to your reply email if you prefer by using the macOS screenshot hotkey combination [Command ⌘]+[Shift ⇧]+[4] then dragging a selection box around the window, the screenshot will be saved to the desktop and can then be attached to your reply email.

Please feel free to reply to this thread, or if you would prefer to keep system-specific details private please send our support team an email at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #405364 - Attn: Pat’ and the system details in the body of the email, we can proceed via direct email if you prefer.

Thank you, and I look forward to your reply email.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hmmm. I have a Intel 13700KF CPU, which has no integrated graphics. I purchased this to save about $15, and because I never planned to attach a monitor to the included HDMI port on the motherboard (as opposed to the ports on the graphics card), but now I’m wondering if that’s the problem. As a side note, the first solution I plan to try is using a DP to HDMI adapter and connecting the second monitor to the dock’s DP port.

Hi,

Thank you for replying back, most ATX desktop computer main-boards do not support USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode video even with a desktop processor with video capability, this leaves most desktop computers not fully compatible with this docking station.

When using this docking station with a desktop computer I recommend connecting one display directly to the desktop computer’s graphics card, the two other displays can be connected to the docking station’s DisplayPort output ports.

If the docking station is being shared with a notebook computer then one of the displays can be connected to both the docking station’s HDMI output port, and directly to the desktop computer’s graphics card. When switching between computers you will need to also switch the input on the monitor, most monitors have a button to cycle between the input ports. If you are not sure which inputs are available on the display, or how to cycle through the input ports please let me know the manufacturer name and model of the display and I can look up the specifications.

I am sorry this computer and docking station are not fully compatible, please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, or if you have any additional questions.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thank you! This is very informative! I’m hopeful that my DP to HDMI adapter may make the second monitor work. That is by far the preferable fix, because I move this desktop between rooms with some regularity. Do you expect that may work?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for replying back, yes, a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter can be used to adapt the second DisplayPort output to HDMI. For example an Active Adapter like our DP-HDMI ( https://plugable.com/products/dp-hdmi ) or a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cable ( for 1080P 1920x1080 resolution displays, for 4K displays I recommend an active adapter ).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, or if there is anything else I can do to help, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Great. Fingers crossed!

Adding an DP to HDMI adapter fixed the problem. Both monitors working now. Thanks!

Hello,

That’s great to hear! I will go ahead and close this thread, if you have any additional questions please feel free to open a new thread, or contact our support team directly via email.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com