New Hub and Adapter not working?

I just received one of your 4-port USB 3.0 hubs today, and it doesn’t seem to be working.

Are there suppose to be any LEDs/lights? On this one, nothing lights, even when I have the adapter plugged into AC. Also, if I don’t use the adapter and plug the hub into my USB 3.0 port, and a drive into one of the 4 ports, nothing lights up.

Seems like both the adapter and the hub itself are dead?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi,

I got it to work, but plugging and unplugging power adapter, connector to laptop USB 3.0, and drives in various sequences. Is there a particular sequence that should be followed with this hub, in order for it to work correctly?

Also, it does have 4 green LEDs, one for each port, but no LED/indicator for just power itself?

Finally, a question: Is the plastic sheet intended to be on top of the hub just for shipping protection, or is it intended to stay on there permanently (makes it kind of hard to see the LEDs because of reflections)?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting your question here, and thanks for posting the update. As long as the individual lights are lighting up for each port when a device is connected and configured then it sounds like the hub is functional. The next step is to test that the devices are functional.

Unfortunately I can’t answer in detail about the light behavior at the moment, but if you are finding that any of your devices aren’t functioning, just let us know and we’ll get you fixed up.

Regarding the plastic sheet on top of the hub, it’s there so that the hub will arrive scratch-free. You can remove it or leave it in place, it’s up to you.

I hope this helps, just let me know if there are any problems with devices and we’ll figure it out.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the info about that sheet thing. I know it was a kind of silly question, but wasn’t sure if it was suppose to be permanent or not. Better safe than sorry!!

Jim

Also, when you get a chance, can you respond re. the sequence (of plugging things in and powering on) that you all recommend that works best with your hub?

Jim

Hi Jim,

There shouldn’t be too much difference in results from changing the order of connecting the hub to the power source and the computer however you might make a habit of connecting the AC power first. This way the computer will always see that the hub is self-powered and not make a mistake and get the hub stuck in bus-powered mode. This shouldn’t happen anyhow, but if you connect the AC power first it will avoid any chance of the hub getting mis-configured.

I hope this helps, let me know if there’s anything else!

Enjoy,
Jerome.

Hi,

That (plugging the AC in first, then drive into hub, then hub into laptop port) was what I tried first, but nothing lit, That was when I started thinking that either the hub or the adapter was bad, so I unplugged everything, and started thinking about posting. Then, I happened to have the drive plugged into the hub, with no AC adapter, and plugged that into the PC, and got one light. That’s when I realized that there was no “power” LED on the hub (yes, slow, I know :)). BTW, that is the one “complaint” (read: suggestion) that I have, to have a “power” LED on the hub.

Jim