Multiple peripheral items not working through new UD-3900 on Dell laptop

Hello, Plugable:
I just purchased a new UD-3900 Plugable Dual Monitor Docking station to use with my Dell Precision Mobile M6800 workstation laptop.

I followed instructions and loaded driver CD before plugging in dock. Several peripherals intuited and loaded correctly and easily, such as an external mouse, keyboard and an external hard drive.

However, my external Dell HDMI monitor will not detect and will not operate. I am using an HDMI cable from the dock to the monitor, just as I would plug it into the HDMI port on the laptop.

Additionally, it will not detect or intuit my external speakers, which use headphone jack and USB as well to operate. Lastly, the USB powered chill pad does run, but it does not turn off when the computer is off.

I checked the Plugable website and updated the drivers, and was informed that my USB 3.0 host is likely outdated, since I am using a Windows 7 platform. So I went to Dell and upgraded the drivers.

After rebooting, these three main items are still not properly operational. To recap:

1. No detection of external monitor
  2. No detection of external speakers
  3. Improper control of fan on chill pad.

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Arik

Hi Arik,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected.

Based on your description, our first step is to reset the dock and perform a ‘clean’ installation of the required DisplayLink drivers to help ensure both are in a good state. Please perform the following:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.5 M2 DisplayLink software, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.

Please let us know if that helps get things working how they should, and we’ll go from there.

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks for the advice, Pat. Unfortunately, it only worked briefly. I followed instructions to a T. After the reboot and installation, I began to add peripherals successfully, including the external monitor. Initially, it detected and was connected. Then, after a few minutes, the computer began to suffer from repeated momentary lockups, then the display began to arbitrarily divide my desktop between the two displays (taskbar on external monitor and other icons on the laptop), and then the external monitor just went blank and was no longer detected. After a reboot, I received an error message from Backup and Sync, which I will try to post as an image below (mostly having Traceback references) and the configuration went back to as before: no external monitor, no external speakers, and improper control of the chill pad fan. I haven’t been able to get it to work again, the way it had for just a few minutes.

If you have any additional suggestions, I am open to them. But I think that maybe this excellent device may just have too many bugs for an older operating system like mine (Windows 7).

Thanks,
Arik

Thanks for the advice, Pat. Unfortunately, it only worked briefly. I followed instructions to a T. After the reboot and installation, I began to add peripherals successfully, including the external monitor. Initially, it detected and was connected. Then, after a few minutes, the computer began to suffer from repeated momentary lockups, then the display began to arbitrarily divide my desktop between the two displays (taskbar on external monitor and other icons on the laptop), and then the external monitor just went blank and was no longer detected. After a reboot, I received an error message from Backup and Sync, which I will try to post as an image below (mostly having Traceback references) and the configuration went back to as before: no external monitor, no external speakers, and improper control of the chill pad fan. I haven’t been able to get it to work again, the way it had for just a few minutes.

If you have any additional suggestions, I am open to them. But I think that maybe this excellent device may just have too many bugs for an older operating system like mine (Windows 7).

Thanks,
Arik !](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1748149/Screenshotfordiagnosis20180825_inline.jpg?1535258507)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1748149/Screenshotfordiagnosis20180825.jpg?1535258507)

Hi Arik,

Thanks for giving the clean installation a try, based on your results there may be something interfering with the DisplayLink software on the system, our next step is to get some additional information from your system.

If you would, please keep the dock connected and both monitors attached ( even though they are not working ) and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to “support@plugable.com” with subject line “Ticket #233623 - Attention Pat” as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, Pat:
Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I already sent the boxed item back through Amazon for a refund. I’ve already spent a couple of hours on this problem and I cannot afford any more time leaks. But thanks again for the suggestions.
All my best,
Arik

Hi Arik,

Thank you for letting me know, I am sorry this docking station did not work out for you.

We’re closing this thread, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support