Multiple issues

1. Monitor Lag: Connected to an LG UltraFine 34inch Curved Widescreen HDR10 rated monitor via Displayport. Mouse cursor chokes every few seconds or after a lot of screen movement.

2. Monitor does not work on Bootcamp Windows 10, but ethernet does.

Is there firmware I may need for my monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Joshua,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

• The monitor lag / mouse lag sounds like the system may be having trouble keeping up with the resource demands of the display. Were you using this display with your system prior to purchasing our TBT3-UDZ dock without issue?

• I do not believe the display itself would be the issue for the kinds of problems described. I assume this is happening in macOS? If so, what version are you running? Catalina 10.15.x or Big Sur 11.x?

• What is the exact model of your monitor? Also, what model Mac are you running? IE MacBook Pro 15" 2019, etc.

• You’d have to see if LG offers any updated firmware for your display, but I don’t expect there to be any firmware updates available/required.

• We are not currently supporting or performing testing with Boot Camp after Apple’s announcement to leave the Intel / x86 ecosystem with their new ARM based M1 systems.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Monitor: LG UltraFine, lg-34GN850-B.
Mac: 2020 Macbook Pro, 64 gb ram, 5600M GPU.

The system ran it fine prior to using the dock. In fact, when directly connecting the monitor to the macbook pro the lag is gone. When connected to the dock the monitor lag is unbearable. The dock still serves the purpose of being the only single cord 100w power + all inputs.

It works with the HDMI i have connected to as it caps at 60hz, but the higher quality (more expensive) monitor with a 160hz refresh rate seems to have issues coming from the single cord set up on the right side of the laptop. Newer macbooks pros are known now to require that we charge on the right and display monitors on the left to avoid thermal throttling. This doesnt seem to be that, but am wondering if the cord is the issue.

Thanks for the additional information.

We’ve received another report from someone else that seems like it may be related to your issues.

The other customer has stated that “every 3 seconds or so, my screen will freeze for a fraction of a second. This occurs if im moving my mouse around, and the entire screen will freeze”.

The customer is using two LG 27UK850-W displays, one via HDMI and one via DP. His displays are operating at 60Hz.

We haven’t encountered this kind of behavior ourselves in testing. I will see if I can find any commonality between your model display and his displays that could be related to this behavior.

What bit rate and refresh rate is your display currently running at over DisplayPort through the dock? Looking at your display specifications it supports:

HDMI (Max. Resolution at Hz)
3440 x 1440 10bit at 85Hz

DP (Max. Resolution at Hz)
3440 x 1440 10bit(RGB444) at 144Hz,
3440 x 1440 8bit(RGB444) at 160Hz(O/C),
3440 x 1440 10bit(YUV422) at 160Hz(O/C)

Please note that we do not officially support greater than 60Hz at any resolution. If you try 3440x1440 at 10bit 60Hz over DP, does the lagging still occur?

Thank you,
Josh

I’m using the DisplayPort so the refresh rate on Mac is 100hz. On Windows it’s at 144hz, although the dock doesn’t work on Windows 10 via Bootcamp.

It’s a ”gaming” monitor and the higher refresh rate is necessary. I tested an HDMI cord and it works fine, but it doesn’t meet my current needs for the larger/gaming monitor.

I’ll just use the other display slot for a 3rd monitor at 60hz if there’s no future plans to support higher refresh rates.

I have to update that the dock does work now while the Macbook Pro is in Windows 10 via Bootcamp. It just started working after a restart.

Very interesting to hear that it’s now working in Boot Camp!

It’s possible that there was a system update from the macOS side that could have affected Boot Camp operation (like a UEFI update), or there could have been a Windows Update that corrected the behavior, it’s hard to say for sure.

Thanks for letting me know!

Best,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.