Multiple Drive Startup Issue - 7 port hub

I’m very much liking the Plugable USB 3.0 7-Port Hub…it’s exaclty what I need for my project! I’m wondering if anyone has run into “startup” issues with multiple USB drivers (maybe drawing power from the hub?). I have 5 SATA drives and two memory sticks (all USB 3.0) plugged in. if the drives and all plugged in at the same time, and I attach the hub to my laptop, the SATA drivers don’t come on line. If I instead plug them in one at a time after connecting the hub to the laptop, everything is great. I think is is likely related to current draw at driver startup? Any thoughts? Might a higher amp 5V power supply aliviate this issue?

Hi John,

Thanks for contacting Plugable Support, I’ll be happy to help. Depending on the types of drives you have, it may be difficult to run all 7 at the same time. The two flash drives are definitely bus powered, but what about the other 5? Do they have power supplies or are they powered by the hub?

Let me know the details and we’ll figure out if it’s like to be a power issue, or something else.

Thanks!
Jerome.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, everything is bus powered…I got “such a deal” on the enclosures…they don’t even have a connection for external power!

I seems like spinning up more than two disks at the same time makes it all go wacky…that’s why servers have have delayed startup! I can add the additional disks one at a time (“Apollo 13” style) and things are fine.

I’ll likely swap out some of the enclosures for those with external power in the future, if it’s a big enough headache.

The hub is great, and the firmware update process is super easy - it’s quite a value!

Thanks for posting those additional details. I think you are on the right track with the power demand of bringing all the drives up at the same time.

Let us know if there’s anything else we can do!

Best,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies