Multiple Display appearance position


#1

Hi.

Not sure if this is a problem or just something I don’t know how to do…

I have 4 pluggable USB3-HDMI-DVI adapters with a 4 Port pluggable USB 3 hub.

When I connect all the adapters to the hub and the hub to my Windows 8.1 laptop, all 4 monitors become active which is great.

The issue I have come across is when I right click on the desktop and then select Screen Resolution I can see the monitors with their corresponding position numbers. When I click on identify, the monitors show their identification numbers (1 through 4) however they are in different positions physically than what shows on the screen. I know I can drag them around on the screen to where they should be and then hit apply however when I move the mouse pointer to that screen the mouse pointer goes to a different screen then it should.

I managed to get the mouse to move to each screen smoothly from left to right however I had to drag the screens to different positions.

My screens should be 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 as per the Screen Resolution page however when I click on identify they are 2 - 3 - 1 - 4. Why is this? I don’t understand why they are showing up in different positions. Is this a Windows issue or a Displaylink driver issue?

I upgraded from the driver that windows update downloads to the 7.7.60366.0 however it did not resolve the strange positioning.

Any tips on how to correct this as it is super confusing.

Thanks.

Chris


#2

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to answer your question.

Let me make sure I have all of the details straight…

You added the four USB video adapters to your system via the hub and everything works as expected. When you access the screen resolution application within Windows and move the monitors to reflect their spatial orientation on your desk to have the mouse pointer move properly from screen to screen, you click the Identify button and the numbers that are displayed on the monitors appear in incorrect positions (even though the pointer moves properly). Is that correct?

If I got that right, that is an issue with Windows unfortunately. I have run into this problem in the past not only using DisplayLink attached displays but also directly attached displays as well and in my research have not found a fix. An internet search shows this problem has been occurring for some time ( I found references to it as far back as 2010). There are a few references to modifying the Windows registry to try and change how Windows is enumerating the displays in terms of the identification numbers but when I have tried them in the past they did not work in my case.

As long as you can get everything arranged properly and the pointer moves as expected the identification numbers themselves shouldn’t really matter.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support


#3