Monitors not recognized when plugged into docking station

I have a Plugable TBT3-UDZ docking station, which I use with my Alienware A51m laptop. Everything works fine, except trying to plug external monitors into the dock. I have a Dell monitor that works if I plug it directly into my laptop (DVI in monitor to mini-displayport in laptop), but if I plug it into the dock (DVI in monitor to normal displayport in the dock), it goes unrecognized. Trying to manually “detect” the monitor in Windows settings does nothing.
My Wacom Cintiq tablet, which I also plug into the dock (HDMI), also goes unrecognized unless I open the Wacom desktop center and fiddle around for a bit once the tablet is powered on.

It’s been a little frustrating, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

“if I plug it into the dock (DVI in monitor to normal displayport in the dock), it goes unrecognized”
A better solution is to convert HDMI to DVI from the dock as HDMI and DVI share the same signal, just a different shape connector.

Do not use a DVI to DP adapter unless it’s “active”, otherwise it won’t work with this docking station, and I suspect this is the problem you are encountering now by using a “passive” adapter.

“My Wacom Cintiq tablet, which I also plug into the dock (HDMI), also goes unrecognized unless I open the Wacom desktop center and fiddle around for a bit once the tablet is powered on.”
Sadly we do not have any experience with the Cintiq to know if this behavior is “expected” or not. In the Wacom software, what steps must you take to get it detected?

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.