Monitor not detected with USB-VGA-165 on Windows 7

We just purchased about 8 of these devices to add secondary monitors to our desktops in the office. Starting out on the second install, the Plugable device is recognized, driver loaded by Windows and all appears well, but, no monitor is detected. We have a Sceptre monitor on the Plugable and an Acer monitor on the VGA port, but if we swap the monitors we get the same result. I tried uninstalling the device (did not use the “cleanup” utility that you have availabe, didn’t know about it) and reinstalling, with same result on a different Plugable from our stack of them. Please help

Thanks for reaching out!

If the behavior is happening on multiple adapters, and you’ve tried on multiple monitors, it’s either a software problem or a connection problem. We’ll want to proceed with a clean installation of the drivers, and see if the behavior is any different. We’ll do all of the following with the DisplayLink adapter disconnected, until the very last step.

  1. Disconnect the DisplayLink adapter from the computer
  2. Uninstall DisplayLink Core software from Control Panel->Programs. Don’t worry if this fails, just move onto the next step.
  3. Download and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here:

  1. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
    Now download and run the latest DisplayLink software, found here:

  1. Reboot, even if not prompted to
  2. Once you’re back in Windows, reattach the DisplayLink adapter and let it install and update the firmware which should happen automatically.

Let me know if that helps!

Hi Sam, thanks for getting back so quickly. I just finished going thru the steps you gave me with no luck - sorry! As the system starts, the monitor’s attached to the Plugable has a power light that flashes, then shows the input source as “VGA”, then goes solid blue which is normal power on state with a good signal (supposedly). But, the DIsplaylink software goes thru the “preparing for first use” routine and comes up with no monitor detected. It’s not the monitor because a different brand of monitor does the same thing. I tried “forcing” output to connect to a the second monitor by changing display settings, but, Windows won’t let me save those settings when I try to turn on the “extend display” setting.

I also tried adjust primary monitor resolution down to 800x600 in case the Sceptre had some problem with the resolution set to the highest on the Acer – but, it didn’t make a difference.

Is there anything else I can try? This is a Dell Optiplex 760 Series PC with Windows 7 Pro running on it.


To any others experiencing this issue, I worked with Laura privately so I could pull logs and examine the issue system.

The issue with this system ended up being resource competition. If drivers or devices from competing USB display adapters are installed on a system that is using DisplayLink adapters, everything will fail. Different USB graphics adapters all use the same APIs, so will compete for resources, causing weird issues or in this case total failure.

In this case, the fix was to remove the drivers from the competing Fresco Logic USB display adapters. In most cases, this is as simple as removing the driver from Add/Remove programs in Windows.

If you’re reading this and encounter this issue, and the suggestions in this thread don’t help, please reach out either on this forum or through for assistance!