Monitor/input lag MacBook Pro 16"

Hi,

I read through the posts and I am seeing some similar issues and thought I would add a report. I have two 1080p/60 Hz screens connected to the dock via HDMI (with a HDMI to DVI cable). Both work in macOS as extended desktop displays. Only one works in Windows in extended mode and the other has to be a mirror of one of the other two screen (built-in or extended 1080p).

In macOS (10.15.7), I am also seeing the display pause issue intermittently. It’s roughly 3–5 seconds and then a quarter second or less pause. I experimented with moving my mouse and keyboard to a separate USB-C hub and found that had no effect on the behavior. It does clear, at times, and go away completely. I have not been able to tell what the trick is for the pause to clear. I have two 16" MacBook Pro computers (1 work, 1 personal) and both experience the same thing. I do not see this effect whatsoever in Windows. I did update the laptops to macOS 11.0.1, but have not had a chance to test since. The main purpose for the hub is at my work office with two 4K screens. I will report back on those when I am able to try it together.

Thanks.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about these issues. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We’re not officially supporting Boot Camp on Mac at this time with Windows, but we will investigate this issue as it’s unexpected behavior.

We have seen a few reports now of unexpected lagging behavior with Mac and our new TBT3-UDZ dock. We’ve yet to be able to reproduce this behavior ourselves, so we’re trying to gather as much data as possible to try and understand this issue.

For the macOS lag issues, we have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please reference ticket 325479 in your email with the diagnostics.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for your reply. I was only looking for help on the Mac side. I included the Windows info for reference, most importantly that there does not seem to be stutter issues in Win10. Also, the stutter seems to be graphics related from the MacBook(s) given it still occurs while using a separate USB hub (or the internal trackpad). Another commonality across both Macs is they have the 5500M chipset. One is 8 GB (personal) and the other has 4 GB (work).

It will probably be a few days before I can run the test routine you put in your reply. I will do that when I can and report back.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Scott

Thanks for the information and understanding!

We have a possible theory that should be easy enough to test. Since you have a MacBook Pro with both Intel and AMD graphics, the system is designed to dynamically switch between these two GPUs. There’s a setting to disable this, I’m curious if this would have any effect on the lagging issues if you have a moment to test this out. To turn off GPU switching see here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202043

This will tell the system to only use the AMD graphics, which when using the dock may be preferable since that GPU is far more powerful. If there’s no change, we’ll have to keep investigating.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
Josh

I have a similar issue. Monitors are not being recognized. Have a MacBook Pro 16" and dual external monitors connected via HDMIs. I did the troubleshooting which you recommended and did not work.

@whitebird Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d like to keep these issues separated if possible to avoid any confusion since this sounds like a different kind if problem entirely.

Please contact us directly at support@plugable.com and I’ll be happy to assist you there. Please mention ticket 325694. We’ll want to collect some diagnostics, so when you email us, please do the following:

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with your monitors attached to it into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

EDIT: I just saw your separate forum post, I will reply there as well just in case asking for the diagnostics!

Thanks!
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.